Why become a member? ×

Your thoughts on going for a 5 or 6 string bass?

Naetharu

Hi folks,

Right now all my basses are 4-stringers and I love them like that. However, due to my band needs I'm now in the market for a bass with a low B string. I'm torn however, as to whether to go with a 5-string bass or just jump in the deep end and grab a 6-string. I made a post a little while ago about good 6-string basses I could consider and got some great answers. However, I'm just a little cautious to seek a bit more advice before I part with my cash.

Here are some salient points about my situation:

* I'm looking for a bass that I will play for a few songs in a set. Most of my playing will still be with my 4-string bass.
* Given the above, weight is not such an issue since I won't be using the bass for hours at a time standing up.
* The kind of Metal/Alt/Prog we play often sees me playing quite high up the fret board - little licks and high melodic lines are common.
* Equally, I tend to be needed to drop some deep bottom end in for some of the heavy riffs. These are often fast and finger-tanglers so I need to have comfortable access to the low-B.
* I use quite a lot of open-string drone notes so any dampening will have to come from my hands rather than a nice srunchy etc. that some 6-string players use.

With these points in mind, what are your thoughts? The idea of a 6-stringer tempts me as I quite fancy the added verticality for some of those quick little runs and the like. At the same time I am a little wary that the neck might be unweildy and make playing some of the speedy riffs a nightmare.

Looking forward to your words of wisdom

James

I could play 95% of all the songs in my bands on a fiver and 90% on a four. I like having the extended range if I need it though and having the extra string doesn't bother me. I like having one bass that covers all my needs... Well apart from fretless but you get the point.

I'd say play as many basses as you can and see which feels right. Some people have issues with muting on Sixers so a good idea to give one a good going over before commitng.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1443288087' post='2873622']
Some people have issues with muting on Sixers so a good idea to give one a good going over before commitng.
[/quote]

Aye, I think this is my biggest concern. Given that some of the stuff we play is the typically loud and fast riffs you find in metal/alt stuff muting could be tricky. I'm fine with a four-string but two more with a wider neck could be a whole other story. Saying that I've just been looking at the six-string Harley Benton progressive, which comes it at just over £100 so I think I might take a stab at it with that one and see how things go.

I can only really say why I personally play a 5 and not a 6. I tend to try and use one bass per set which when playing all over the neck after a full rehearsal using a 6 string I get fatigued much quicker.

Personally I find a 5er to just be comfier and overall easier to navigate the fretboard (but not by a huge amount).

The six string Harley Benton progressive is a great bass for the money and very playable. Still got the deep lows that you'll need too for your style of music too, and the spacing isn't too roomy for your first 6.

I found that when I played a 5 string I just played it like a 4 with an extra string, just giving me 5 more low notes. I really struggled with a 5. Moving straight into a 6 string really makes you make the most of working across the fretboard. You can cover two complete octaves without a shift. I really had to stop playing 4's for a while though to really get comfortable on the 6. The muting was difficult at first, but soon comes naturally, as it does on your 4 with out even thinking about it.

The HB from Thomann will be an inexpensive way to find out. Trial and error the only way I guess, as every one is different.