Why become a member? ×

NBD: Enter with Caution - Marlin Slammer content

Grangur

This has been an interesting weekend. I've sold one and got 2 new projects. This one seems the most straight-forward so far.

Here are some initial pictures. The body is black and chipped, the bridge is mucky and strings are knack'd. But the maple of the neck is beautiful and the electrics are a sight to behold.

I've had these connected and the pots actually work amazingly well considering how they look.

The wiring is really thin and all the earth wires have no insulation. So any slight move and something could short out.

I've connected a jack and fired her up and I really like the tone.
It needs a new pick-guard, or for me to fix up the old one a bit as the holes for the old pots and jacks aren't big enough.

The question I'm not too sure about is if I should try to preserve the electrics, or go for a significant improvement.
I guess the answer there is the simple truth that this will never be a real "historical treasure". So I may as well hit the soldering iron and get the good stuff in place.

Do I go for a re-spray, or stick with the "mojo" look? Not sure on that.
I recon I'll stick with the existing pups - they give a good sound.

Aaah, my first bass was one of these, bought from a previous incarnation of GAK if I recall.

Sadly mine had a neck like a Quaver and wasn't really worth repairing.

(edit: it wasn't bent when I bought it, just realised my comments may look like a moan at GAK; ftr GAK are great)

I would pimp the hell out of yours and build a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Edited by planer