Why become a member? ×

Bass guitar mag inconsistent

Kevin Dean

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1443402445' post='2874422']
Is the implication that "made in China" is something to be avoided?

Do we worry about where our jeans and trainers are made?

Does the original post have a point?
[/quote]

Yes, I find t important to know where my things are made. For example, the children who make trainers in Thailand are far more skilled than the children in Bangladesh but, oddly, the Bangladeshis are far better at stitching tshirts than the Thai children. The adults in Japan who are paid a proper wage and work in safe conditions who make my jeans are far better skilled than the children in Bagladesh or Thailand.

Or

My hard currency is not going to finance political oppression in China as much (components, etc, are still mostly made there) if the amplifier is made in the UK.

But to the matter at hand: before I cancelled my subscription, BGM was consistent. It always had poor photographs, poor writing (in all ways) and poor content. There is a thread here about it that ran for many pages that highlighted the flaws and suggested how to make the magazine less (ahem) boring, but it seemed that nobody at BGM cared (or dared) to read it.

It's not going to please all the readers all of the time is it?

I've been a tad unwell of late and in and out of hospital a bit, to help cheer me up, my wife has treated me to the last two editions.

The current one I've not enjoyed nearly as much as the first. Nothing wrong with it as such, just that the first one had more in the way of gear and players that interested me.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1443421643' post='2874446']
It's not going to please all the readers all of the time is it?

I've been a tad unwell of late and in and out of hospital a bit, to help cheer me up, my wife has treated me to the last two editions.

The current one I've not enjoyed nearly as much as the first. Nothing wrong with it as such, just that the first one had more in the way of gear and players that interested me.
[/quote]

Sorry hear you've been unwell. You're absolutely right, it's never going to please everyone.

Oddly, this is the first copy I have bought in years, simply because it features one of my personal biggest bass playing influences.

With regard to where items are built, some of the most popular pieces of gear on here are built abroad, Aguilar tone hammers for instance, and there's nothing wrong with their construction.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1443414852' post='2874427']

But to the matter at hand: before I cancelled my subscription, BGM was consistent. It always had poor photographs, poor writing (in all ways) and poor content. There is a thread here about it that ran for many pages that highlighted the flaws and suggested how to make the magazine less (ahem) boring, but it seemed that nobody at BGM cared (or dared) to read it.
[/quote]

Having read some of that thread, it seems the best way to make it less boring is for them to implement the following -

Less instruction.
More instruction.
More rock bass players.
Less rock bass players.
More funk
Less funk
More metal
Less metal
More jazz
Less jazz

Etc, etc, etc :)

It is what it is. It's written by bassists for bassists, not by journalists. I thought the Wal review for instance was a really nice review of a great instrument, it's written by a friend that I spent four years at uni with, who's an incredibly gifted bassist. Last month had Mark King who probably influenced a whole generation of UK bassists.

I'm not a subscriber to the mag, but are we talking about a team of writers who are not keeping to the same format, or is it a single writer who is inconsistent?

I ask because if it's a "team" not following a single format, this could be because all the reviews may be written by freelancers who don't work in the office of the mag and may be paid peanuts (if at all).

I thought the Sub Editor/Editor was meant to sort out all the inconsistencies.........?

I'll declare my hand by saying the BGM is usually chock full of inconsistencies, the other month they talked about a Barefaced cabinet in a review having the dark cloth, the photo was a stock one used in BF adverts showing silver cloth and more recently they re-printed a PR piece from G&L about their new Bass and left the price in $. Really useful!

That said I'd be surprised if BGM was much more than 1 man and his dog. There have been loads of suggestions on the BGM (and offers of help) too. I guess it's difficult to take on offers of (unpaid) help without creating a less than professional image?