Why become a member? ×

I need budget keys advice

gafbass02

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1443518298' post='2875374']
I've need for a few spot keys moments in some songs, strings, piano, synthy theremin type sounds.
Lack of keys players means it'll be a job for guitarist number two (I'm number one)
What I'm after is something really small, REALLY cheap and simple. Those little midi keyboard things look the right size and price, but I'm assuming have no sounds of their own.
Is there a simple solution (no hooking up laptops etc) or is it a trip to Argos for a cheapo kiddy thing. It's got to be south of a hundred. Ideally no more than £70 odd.
Any ideas?
I've tried triggering samples off my jamman, but the timing/volume issues are insurmountable.
[/quote]

I used to run one of these into an ipod....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rock-Band-Wireless-Keyboard-PS3/dp/B00409SOAA/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1443650367&sr=1-3&keywords=rock+band+keyboard

Not the best, but worked enough.

Before you spend any money, try sticking Alchemy on your iPad. It's a free synth & you can buy upgrades for it if you need them. Worth a download to see if it'll run ok on your iPad.

I've got an iPad 3 that's now running a bit slow, but there's no issues with Alchemy on it.

If you want even semi convincing pianos or strings on a stand alone synth, you might need to increase your budget to about £200+.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1443679697' post='2876747']
That's a pretty cool idea! I just bought a cheap Casio from Amazon, I can always return it if it's too awful!
[/quote]
Good luck! :)

It could very well sound fine. What I don't like about cheap keyboards is the action as they really get built down to a price physically. YMMV, obviously, but I've been ruined by the lovely feel of my Moog! :rolleyes:

Ive got the alchemy app, but I'm not sure it's a good plan live. Sounds great though.
In all honesty the sounds don't have to be amazing here, having had keys players with triton, trinity, and Kronos keys in recent times I'm sure it'll be appalling by comparison. But for the very occasional spot sounds banged out by the 2nd guitarist in a placebo tribute band playing smaller venues I don't think it's too big a deal till we can find an actual keys player. :)

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1443681870' post='2876769']
Before you spend any money, try sticking Alchemy on your iPad. It's a free synth & you can buy upgrades for it if you need them. Worth a download to see if it'll run ok on your iPad.

I've got an iPad 3 that's now running a bit slow, but there's no issues with Alchemy on it.

If you want even semi convincing pianos or strings on a stand alone synth, you might need to increase your budget to about £200+.
[/quote]

The problem with iPad apps IMO isn't the app or the iPad but it's connections to the outside world which simply isn't robust enough to stand up to gigging.

It seems to me that the better the technology and applications get, the worse the hardware for connecting them together becomes. Back in the days of dedicated hardware samplers, synths and sequencers, MIDI and SCSI might have been a bit of a dark art when it came to getting the devices to talk to each other, but the cables and connectors were a lot more sturdy and gig proof.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1443715745' post='2877133']
The problem with iPad apps IMO isn't the app or the iPad but it's connections to the outside world which simply isn't robust enough to stand up to gigging.

It seems to me that the better the technology and applications get, the worse the hardware for connecting them together becomes. Back in the days of dedicated hardware samplers, synths and sequencers, MIDI and SCSI might have been a bit of a dark art when it came to getting the devices to talk to each other, but the cables and connectors were a lot more sturdy and gig proof.
[/quote]
That's true. Just sold an Akai S3000XL that was made in 96 & all the sockets on it are better quality than what you get on most high end products today.