Why become a member? ×

In praise of Status tapewounds

TheGreek

Did a trade here for a Bass Collection Nanyo 310 - I already have a 301, but like it so much that I thought I'd get the next model up. The Bass arrived with a gauge I wasn't happy with so I changed the strings to a set of Status Black tapewounds.

http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html

I had a set on my Schuker Fretless which sounded great but I hadn't tried them on a fretted bass.

Just put a set on the Bass Collection - wow!! - blew my mind...sounds reminiscent of a Double Bass, if Leo had got this sound when he first invented the Electric Bass he would have stopped there..

At £14 a set you can't go wrong - I like them so much that if you buy a set and you're not happy with them, I'll buy them off you...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1443524154' post='2875462']

At £14 a set you can't go wrong - I like them so much that if you buy a set and you're not happy with them, I'll buy them off you...
[/quote]

... and if he doesn't, I probably will :)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1443612721' post='2876184']
I agree that their is slightly less tension but not so much that it affects the playability of the bass. If anything I'd say it improves playability.
[/quote]

I think it might just be down to my playing style - years of trying to project on double bass make it hard for me to lighten up my touch enough on bass guitar. If I try tapes again it may have to be some of the 0.065" gauge LaBellas or Rotos. I like the tapes in general though, they seem to have a bit of flatwound character and still have enough brightness without sounding at all metallic.