Why become a member? ×

1966/67 Precision - Refurb

vintage_ben

[quote name='vintage_ben' timestamp='1450717318' post='2935177']
...I must admit I wasn't that keen on gree/tort combination on instruments I'd seen online, but when I got it on, it looks a a real belter in the flesh.
[/quote]

Well as WoT says, it's a beautiful bass whichever way you look at it. I think mint or parchment would go well with seafoam. But of course you'd need to realistically relic the guard. More work, more work! :)

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1451432403' post='2940519']
Brill! Love it.

Reminds me of my old MIJ P bass I refinished in Surf Green, I went for a similar level of relic'ing.

[/quote]

Thanks. Love your refin. The green works really well with the anodised guard. Those MIJ late '50 reissues are great. Had one and sold it about 10 years ago... big mistake. Loved ricking out on it - see below!

I remember reading an article about a repair on a 1959 Gibson Les Paul pickguard. A small chunk had been broken off so they got a new piece of identical material, cut out the exact shape and I think they somehow gently melted the bits together (I can't remember how but I think it was a soldering iron with a small piece of wire attached - one end to the solder and the other end between the two pieces of plastic - but don't quote me on that). They then spent ages with a razor blade smoothing off the join on the front and back till it was almost impossible to see the join. Might be worth a try?