Why become a member? ×

Active bypass switch - Precision Deluxe Special MIM - Resistor values and wiring

MrT

Hello Basschatters,

First time poster here,

I've searched around but haven't found an answer to a fairly specific question.

I'd like to add a bypass switch to my Fender Precision Deluxe Special, as an option for recording mainly.
The volume pot is PCB'd as part of the active circuitry and 25K, so I think the easiest option is to cut in straight after the P/J Blend pot.

My plan is to do a very simple DPDT bypass so that in passive mode it doesn't have a volume pot or tone; Just straight to output. I'm fine with loosing the volume control and pretty much always have tone rolled right up for recording.

I'm confident with soldering as I've built quite a few pedals, a load of cables and a few DI boxes - I'm just not sure about the correct way of soldering in a resistor to the passive side of the switch, to retain a natural P-bass tone. I know that the volume pot is responsible for removing a little top end & lowering resonant frequency etc.

Should I solder in a 220K resistor to the jumpered side of the DPDT switch with the other end to ground? Or does the resistor just link in and out alongside the jumper?
Do you know of any other issues this might cause?

I've attached a simple image with the two options. Perhaps it should be wired totally different anyway!
Any advice would be much appreciated.

[attachment=202612:Passive.png]

Thanks for reading this and I hope it makes sense!

Ben

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1444684780' post='2885139']
number 2 if you need the pot there, although I wouldn't really bother switching the input to the preamp - it doesn't matter whether it connects or not.
[/quote]

Thanks for that,

So you're saying that the resistor links to the ground from between the Blend pot and the output?

I like the idea of being able to leave the volume on the active side set where it is and still switch between, so I think I'll stick with the DPDT as it is in the diagram.

Am I right in thinking that not having the Tone pot in there won't actually effect the tone? It will sound exactly the same as if the tone was dialled right up?

Any other thoughts or comments on any issues I may have missed?

ok - as I said, it makes no difference if you disconnect the input or not.

I would think it would be almost imperceptible with the naked ear the lack of tone control, although electrically speaking there is a difference. It will certainly make less difference than the length of the cable you use in passive mode would.