Why become a member? ×

Tokai Talbo bass £590 BIN

Paul S

Just been listed. I wonder how heavy these are?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokai-Talbo-Bass-free-postage-in-UK-via-Parcelforce-48-/301767085886?hash=item4642b84f3e"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokai-Talbo-Bass-free-postage-in-UK-via-Parcelforce-48-/301767085886?hash=item4642b84f3e[/url]

If I can find my little digital scale thingy, I'll weigh mine & let you know. They're not particularly light, though.

A couple of things about the description - he describes it as an "original" Talbo. While I don't think he's intentionally dissembling, be aware this is the reissue from 2000-ish, not an 80s original.

Mine I found pretty much unuseable live, because it's very microphonic (he does mention this) and I couldn't get a tone anywhere close to what I prefer (cutting, toppy, touch of nasty overdrive) without it squealing like a piggy. It's probably fine for more, erm, polite-sounding players though... :D

This is only the second one I've seen on UK Ebay in about 12 years or so, and while I'm not considering selling mine, I'm curious to see what interest this gets.

Jon.

The body is hollow and lined with foam to prevent feedback so they are about the same weight as a standard 4-string bass.

Despite the fact that it's a rare colour that is massively overpriced.

Edit: I never had any feedback problems with mine (which is probably the one that Jon had previously seen on eBay). I don't use masses of distortion, but it did have a fair bit of valve drive to the sound and it was OK with that.

Having said all that I did get mine directly from Japan because all the examples I'd seen for sale in the UK had so many casting marks and blemishes on the body that they looked like seconds.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1444744020' post='2885525']
The body is hollow and lined with foam to prevent feedback so they are about the same weight as a standard 4-string bass.

Despite the fact that it's a rare colour that is massively overpriced.
[/quote]

What's the going rate for one? I really like the look of these.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1444744248' post='2885526']
What's the going rate for one? I really like the look of these.
[/quote]

[url=http://tokai-guitars.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=17&category_id=6&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31]In theory you can get a new one for £899[/url] but I think I paid around £400 plus shipping and import for mine, so on reflection it might only be slightly overpriced provided it is in good and 100% original condition. The bridge is a terrible piece of design if you need to adjust the intonation though.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1444744020' post='2885525']
they are about the same weight as a standard 4-string bass.
[/quote]

And as long as a piece of string! :)

I have seen the figure of 4.6kg mentioned somewhere on the interweb, which could be about right? I like the shape very much but probably too heavy.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1444748462' post='2885577']
And as long as a piece of string! :)

I have seen the figure of 4.6kg mentioned somewhere on the interweb, which could be about right? I like the shape very much but probably too heavy.
[/quote]

That sounds about right IIRC. About average for one of my basses.

I have a feeling that they might have gone out of production again. When I sold mine about 18 months ago it went to a buyer back in Japan.