Why become a member? ×

Eden WTDI??? Anyone used one?? Or suitable DI suggestions...

carlsim

Hi guys... I reckon this would have been covered before but would appreciate some opinions....
I mostly do IEM gigs these days and DI without backline... I have never really been happy with the sound and was hoping that a preamp with a bit more tonal capabilities will help. A student of mine has a B7K dark-glass pedal he is going to lend me to try out (I think he uses it just for distortion) but that is a bit prices for me atm...

Can anyone offer any other suggestions?? I was looking at the Eden WTDI - good price at thomann atm, and looks like a solid piece of kit. I'm not that fussed about modelling so don't want to go down the line 6 route (never been too impressed) but a speaker emulated output could be good. Must have a balanced output for DI...

Anyone offer their thoughts on this???

Cheers!
Carl.

Haven't used the Eden pedal but no reason to doubt it would be good. I have a Markbass Super Booster on my pedal board which give a signal boost but also has the VLE and VPF filters which give quite a bit of tone shaping. I have it on all the time when gigging because I like the tone.

Yeah I had a read through this post previously - I'm not a metal player and most of the things I do is theatre work and function based work so I guess I'm looking for something as versatile in tone a possible. Any other thoughts??

I hear some really great stuff about the BassBone from a chap that gave me a few lessons a while back: [url="http://www.tonebone.com/bassbonev2.php"]http://www.tonebone.com/bassbonev2.php[/url]

I've not used one myself but he swore by them for the covers/function band stuff he was doing

I've also been looking at this one which seems to have got quite a bit of love: http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21320-mxr-m81-bass-preamp-review

Edited by Naetharu

I've used my EBS Micro Bass II many times for sending a good 'amped' signal to the FOH, it's a very versatile bit of it....but it is quite expensive.

I've got an MXR Bass Preamp (as suggested by Naerharu) and it sounds superb - very clean and a very solid bottom end.

There's the whole slew of SansAmp products that you could check out as well.

I'd be inclined to come up with a shopping list - do you want compression ? A speaker simulator ? Sweepable mids ? Just a good simple three-band EQ ? It would help narrow down a large field.

Edited by ahpook

I did consider the microbass as I previously had a hd350 and downsized to a reidmar... They are quite expensive though as you say... Is that recommended then???
Eq wise... I think a 3 band swept mid would be desirable... Not worried about compression and distortions would be good but not essential... Haven't used one like this so would appreciate any recommendations...

I've been doing iem only gigs for years.
The mxr m80/81 is great, transparent, and the eq can be incredibly useful.
The hartke bass attack is good, and works really well. It has the classic hartke sound on tap, and has an effects loop too.
Behringer make a clone of the sansamp bddi, it's pretty good as long as you can get on with the ampeg tone.
Edens wtdi is great but the gain is VERY sensitive.
I own all of these and have used them all in anger. My first choice is always my mxr m80. Very versatile, and has a separate drive channel, which can sound awesome with judicious use of the blend control

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1444849127' post='2886730']
I've been doing iem only gigs for years.
The mxr m80/81 is great, transparent, and the eq can be incredibly useful.
The hartke bass attack is good, and works really well. It has the classic hartke sound on tap, and has an effects loop too.
Behringer make a clone of the sansamp bddi, it's pretty good as long as you can get on with the ampeg tone.
Edens wtdi is great but the gain is VERY sensitive.
I own all of these and have used them all in anger. My first choice is always my mxr m80. Very versatile, and has a separate drive channel, which can sound awesome with judicious use of the blend control
[/quote]

Thanks for that - I was considering the MXR as well - a m80 also appears to have the over drive function whilst the 81 has the swept control... decisions!