Why become a member? ×

Kai Eckhardt

julesb

[b] [font="Roboto, arial, sans-serif"][size=3]Great bass from Kai Eckhardt on a track from the amazing fretless guitar player cenk erdogan. I first became aware of Kai on 'live at the Royal festival hall' with John [/size][/font][size=3]Mclaughlin a long long time ago... and I think he's amazing. Anyway, Enjoy![/size][/b]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlgYaD_HL68

I love his playing on the McLaughlin album but have never heard anything else from him. The thing about the JM Trio is that they rehearsed for nine hours a day for two weeks before they toured. I think most of us would do our best playing under such circumstances!

My band does a version of John McLaughlin's "Follow Your Heart". There's a smokin version (that introduced me to Kai) on the Mahavishnu tribute album "Visions of an Inner Mounting Apocalypse" with Kai, John Abercrombie, Vinnie Colaiuta and assorted other jazz blokes.

Kai takes a solo and as the tune is in 11/8 it gets outside pretty sharpish. Great stuff. I'd link to it if I could find a version online!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1444899399' post='2887045']
I love his playing on the McLaughlin album but have never heard anything else from him. The thing about the JM Trio is that they rehearsed for nine hours a day for two weeks before they toured. I think most of us would do our best playing under such circumstances!
[/quote]
I think my arms would fall off after nine hours!

Nine hours for two weeks! Wow I'm surprised. The arrangements weren't as sophisticated as say Mahavishnu. They seemed to me at least looser and more improvisational. Saw the JM Trio with three different bassists: Eckhardt, Di Piazza & Berlin. All good (even Jeff Berlin when he shuts up) - but I got tired of JM on nylon string. Prefer him on steel - electric or acoustic.