Why become a member? ×

Bass building dread...

Twigman

I recently acquired a lined fretless neck, brand new, from Warmoth.
It's lovely: satin nitro finished maple with an ebony fingerboard....

Today was supposed to be the day it went on my PJ.

Earler a swapped out the Gotoh201 bridge for a Babicz and the pickups for an Aguilar PJ set and stuck in the Kiogon loom I'd recently bought.

I restrung just the A string on the frretted neck to see how the pickups sound...a vast improvement over the mismatched Fender original and a Allparts J.

And then I spent the rest of the day trying to summon the bottle to start drilling holes in the new headstock to mount the set of GB640 tuners I have and the string tree.

It's not like I haven't done this before.

I have.

Several times.

But today I just couldn't get the bottle. I became paranoid that i would make a mistake, drill all the way through or just generally make a balls up of it..

I shall try again tomorrow.

Does anyone else get filled with builder's dread?

All the time. I've put stuff off for years because of it. I worry that just being so nervous will be enough to make me cock up. But in the end, once I've actually done it, I just feel stupid for worrying so much and wasting so much time.

You have a much better chance of doing it right and making something useful out of it, if you go for it. Whereas you'll definitely end up with an expensive doorstop if you don't.

Be bold on a new day when you are feeling on form. Since you have done it before you will remember to use masking tape (or a locking barrel widget) to set the drill depth and prevent your worst fear. Many is the time I forget simple obvious steps that I know I should do. I also have days like yours when I am useless / ineffective because I become 'stuck' about things I have done many times before that are well within my competence. I can spend more time 'worrying' about the task than actually doing it. Totally irrational and luckily of little consequence in my current life :).

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1445120966' post='2889017']
Be bold on a new day when you are feeling on form.
[/quote]

Agreed. If you don't feel right about it you will feck it up. Wait until you have the time to go through everything properly in your mind, you have all the tools you need, you have peace and quiet and no distractions and you don't have a hangover. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1445128655' post='2889036']

Agreed. If you don't feel right about it you will feck it up. Wait until you have the time to go through everything properly in your mind, you have all the tools you need, you have peace and quiet and no distractions and you don't have a hangover. ;)
[/quote]

+1

I'm just doing my first scratch build and I find that I rehearse everything in my head several times over before going anywhere near the expensive bits of wood. If you're not feeling confident, practice on some scrap wood to make sure you're drilling to the correct depth