Why become a member? ×

Which pickups?

Marno

Hi all.
This is my first time posting on bc so apologise if I've posted in the wrong place. I could do with some regarding pickups. I recently bought an Ibanez btb406qm and everything about it is great except the sound I can get from it (a bit like its being put through a fuzz box all the time) I think this can probably be solved with some better pickups but im not sure which would be the right ones to get, I've heard good things about Bartolini and EMG for 6 string basses but any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

I can't really offer you any advice since pick-up choice is very personal indeed but I would like to point you in the direction of Bass Culture as once to add to your list of possibilities. They're hand-made to order and I was very impressed with them when I tried some out a little while back. They also offer nice little wooden covers which might be pretty cool on a BTB if you happen to like that kind of look.

The web site is atrocious however, but don't let that put you off - the pick-ups are top notch.

[url="http://www.bassculture.de/"]http://www.bassculture.de/[/url]

Also, just worth asking - are you sure that the distorted sound is coming from the pick-ups and not elsewhere in the signal chain? It would be a shame to pay out for expensive replacements only to find that it was your pre-amp/pedal/amp/cab that was giving you the trouble. I only ask as when I tried out a BTB I found it had a really nice clear tone so it surprises me to hear that you're getting these issues.

Edit: Might be worth returning it to the store and asking them to check it over or try another bass of the same model first assuming you got it new?

Edited by Naetharu

Thanks for all your suggestions, I think I'll try changing the batteries first as I bought second hand and the plastic is still on the battery cover suggesting no battery change.

(Edit) changing the batteries has done it, now it sounds great.

Thanks

Edited by Marno

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1445963330' post='2895744']
Mr Blue he speak da troof. Reputable manufacturers don't put rubbish p/us in their instruments, despite what after market sellers (who don't have anything to gain from our changing p/us, of course...) try to claim.
[/quote]

Not strictly true... A lot of basses in the cheaper price range can be improved with better pickups or preamp. Not always the case of course but it's silly to assume otherwise.