Why become a member? ×

Entwhistle Pickups - what are your thoughts?

Grangur

I'm playing about with an old PJ bass and trying to find "the right" P pups.

I like the gravel in the thump. But I've already fitted an Entwhistle Jazz pup, now I'm trying to find a P pup for the job.

I saw the Entwhistle PBX and I'd like to know what they sound like. Have you tried them?

I did find this quote:
[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1438445466' post='2834587']
Entwistle PBX-N!!! (the [b]neodymium[/b] one)

If you look for a "classic" motown sound etc, maybe not. But if you want a powerful, fat, punchy sound, you could do a lot worse than trying this pickup. It sounds HUGE, in a very good way. Very well balanced too. Great pickup at around £80. But it's even better because it's not £80, but £26!
And no, I'm not recommending it for its price. I recommend it for its sound, regardless the price.
[/quote]

But what does the word "fat" mean?

What do folk generally recon to the sound of Entwhistle pups?

For myself I'm looking for a bassy pup with an element of gravel in the guts, but not a "clank". I like the SD Quarterpounders, but will PBX tick the boxes?

Does anyone have any recordings?

I took out the pups from my active Mexican Fender PJ special and replaced them with Entwistles. I love them. The P pup sounds...like a P Bass pup. Big without being mushy. The J pup adds some detail to the overall sound. And they're so cheap. There are a couple of threads on here already about them and they're generally very positive. Try them.

I bought a set of these P bass pickups. What is the script with the bar magnets? Never seen them on the outside of a pickup before.

And the covers don`t fit in a Fender size pickup hole as the lugs are larger. No bigee but they will need some alteration to the pickgaurd.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1446412807' post='2899244']
I bought a set of these P bass pickups. What is the script with the bar magnets? Never seen them on the outside of a pickup before.

And the covers don`t fit in a Fender size pickup hole as the lugs are larger. No bigee but they will need some alteration to the pickgaurd.
[/quote] I fitted the covers from the fender pick ups over the Entwhistle....job done - easy fit and no mods needed ;)

However, all opinions count...i think, I found the P to be a little bland for my tastes...it wasn't as kick ass as the Quarter pounder I had, not as defined...perhaps smoother but dull. Certainly a lot more different to a vintage style pick up such as lacking the clanky mids, smoother.... but dull again. My opinion is they're worth a try for the money but not for me really - sorry. Best P pick up I've tried is the Aguilar but they're expensive.

Edit: My pick up is the PBX N - Neo...perhaps the cheaper PBX is a different beast altogether :)

Edited by Raslee

I put a set of the PBXN and JBXN on my SGC Nanyo 310. That's a P/J configuration and they really suited it. What they'd be like on a "proper" precision, I can't say but for the price they were I'm really happy with them. They add a real growl to the bass that wasn't there before and sound much better than the standard pickups that are on my other 310.

Not a precision of course but have a pair of JBXNs in my Squier jazz. And I did a sound comparison vs. the stock Squier pickups: https://soundcloud.com/mornats/pickups-comparison

The sound difference is a little subtle in the recording but the JBXNs pump out more volume than the standard pickups and sound very full on in reality.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1446383362' post='2898904']But what does the word "fat" mean?

For myself I'm looking for a bassy pup with an element of gravel in the guts, but not a "clank".

[/quote]

It's interesting how we all use slightly different words to describe sound! I think I know what "fat" means (usually kind of full and rounded with quite an accentuation in the low mids), but I have no idea what "gravel in the guts" would mean!! Or "clank"! :D

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1446480501' post='2899679']
It's interesting how we all use slightly different words to describe sound! I think I know what "fat" means (usually kind of full and rounded with quite an accentuation in the low mids), but I have no idea what "gravel in the guts" would mean!! Or "clank"! :D
[/quote]

:D I'm only saying "clank" as some folk say "a Fender barks and a Stingray clanks". I like the bark more than the clank. I can't honestly say I've ever heard a bass make a noise that I would say is a bark. (as in dog, that is)

But from what you say, Conan, I like a good fat sound too.... er... I think.. :D

BTW I also don't know about the phrase "play's like butter". I'm new to all this, but I've never seen or heard of a slab of butter playing a bass.

Edited by Grangur

[/quote]

A bar magnet means they are ceramic pickups, the pole pieces themselves are not magnetised so the magnet has to sit underneath. Cheaper to make apparently, not necessarily any worse from what I hear. Some of the best jazz pickups I've heard were in my silver series jazz (ceramic).

[/quote]

or replace the covers like I did, about £4.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1446383362' post='2898904']
I'm playing about with an old PJ bass and trying to find "the right" P pups.

I like the gravel in the thump. But I've already fitted an Entwhistle Jazz pup, now I'm trying to find a P pup for the job.

I saw the Entwhistle PBX and I'd like to know what they sound like. Have you tried them?

I did find this quote:

But what does the word "fat" mean?

What do folk generally recon to the sound of Entwhistle pups?

For myself I'm looking for a bassy pup with an element of gravel in the guts, but not a "clank". I like the SD Quarterpounders, but will PBX tick the boxes?

Does anyone have any recordings?
[/quote]

by fat I mean... big sounding? Not sure that helps.
:lol:

Strong bottom end and low mids. Sound big and bassy but with definition. Not a huge amount of treble compared to other pickups but they still have plenty.