Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

On 10/06/2024 at 10:58, T-Bay said:

Utilita doesn’t even have video screens so could have been anyone up there to be honest. We were in the ‘cheap seats’ but still over £60!!!!

None of the arenas have that stuff in-house, the entire production (sound, lighting, video) all comes in with the tour - so it'll be whatever show you were at deciding not to tour with IMAG screens, not the venue itself. 

James at the co-op arena in Manchester.

Never been a devotee, but love some songs they do “Getting Away With It” is my favourite - they finished on it, so I was made up with that.

It has to be said - Jim Glennie is absolutely amazing, what a creative player. So much he did last night; I had no clue was the bass part.

Some wonderful fuzz and synth parts. 

3 different MM sterlings. Wonderful.

Tim Booth is absolutely fabulous too.

IMG_0042.jpeg

0331001A-05C8-4E4F-864E-59D52EB978FA.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tandro said:

Remembering the 90s - went to see '311' last night. I had a blast. And for once with an older established band, quite a lot of the audience appeared younger than me!

I went to see Alice In Chains when they last toured. We were reasonably close and enjoying the show, when they played one of their better known songs there was a group of young people came barging through to get to the front. I reacted badly and shoved one of the guys. This girl started mouthing off to me and I mouthed off to her, neither of us hearing what the other was shouting. I mean these people were not even born when Alice In Chains came out with these songs.

I realise its great that they have young fans, but I felt a bit cheesed off as I felt they were my band, not theirs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mr. Bungle in Manchester on Thursday night. An amazing evening of incredibly tight and heavy music.

The view was great in some respects, but not in others as couldn’t see all of the stage. Was the best bet being where I was though due to my dodgy back.

IMG_7542.jpeg

• Like 2

On 14/06/2024 at 10:32, Oopsdabassist said:

Off to see Nick Mason and the Saucerful of Secrets in Oxford tomorrow, can't bloody wait!!

Well I wasn't disappointed!  Epic night and nostalgic as ye like, felt like I was about 12 again, I was hoarse as feck the next day lol

20240615_202442.jpg

• Like 2

Toyah and Robert (Toyah Wilcox and Robert Fripp) at the Regal Cinema Evesham. I had seen their Sunday Lunch Youtube videos during lockdown, but I really didn't know what to expect from this. Turned out to be full band, Fripp and two other guitarists, bass, drums and keys. Plus Toyah, of course, who can still sing, still move and knows exactly how to work an audience. Fripp is 78, but he can still play - the speed his fingers move at is mesmerising - and he wouldn't play with other musicians if they weren't any good. I was wondering about the economics of that setup in a small venue like the Regal, but turns out they were warming up for Isle of Wight and Glastonbury. You could argue it's a pub band setlist of - mostly - covers, but they did a couple of Bowie songs where Fripp played on the original recording and there was that kind of logic to most of the song choices. TBH, nobody in the audience cared anyway, we were all having too good a time.

• Like 3

Foo Fighters last night at London Stadium. I am , perhaps being harsh, could be partially because I watch and listen out for individual instruments. Great show, played the favourite songs, very crowd pleasing, heavy riffs, but there were parts that musically did not make sense, fillers, extra bits added here and there. I was surrounded by alcohol fuelled punters, well I had a few myself 🥳 Overall, I had a great time.

On 17/06/2024 at 20:34, Oopsdabassist said:

Well I wasn't disappointed!  Epic night and nostalgic as ye like, felt like I was about 12 again, I was hoarse as feck the next day lol

20240615_202442.jpg

Seeing them at Poole on Tuesday!

These Wicked Rivers on Friday night at the Boileroom in Guildford. Excellent groove rock, with lots of beards ;)

My good friend Troy Redfern last night (also at the Boileroom). High energy lead slide guitar/riffing blues rock. Great stuff!

Both gigs suffered (the same) soundman who seemed to like hardly any bass guitar in the mix though......

Albert Lee last night, I loved every minute of it. Really liked the venue also, first time for me at The Haymarket in Basingstoke.

Hopefully he'll get some air time at Glastonbury Saturday.

AL.JPG

Edited by vbance
  • Like 2

Placebo last night in southampton. Absolutely great gig, best I have seen them. The venue had surprisingly good sound considering it was outside in guildhall square in Southampton which was all fenced off. It was remarkably warm, the hottest day of the year so far and obviously on a lot of stone it was warm, but by 8 the sun had gone around so there was shade from the high buildings.

There was a 5 minute break due to a fight at the front where they stopped the show to rant at them until they left (not sure what security were doing), but the rest was good, new stuff and old hits, ending with running up that hill.

Oh and the best bit, it was another no phone gig, I love those. Still had some people using them, wasnt absolute like tool was, but most people respected  it.

• Thanks 1

Went to see Kings of Leon at Ashton Gate, Bristol last Sunday. A band my wife has always wanted to see live. 

Support were The Vaccines who I was looking forward to more and they were great. 

KoL, given it was a stadium (albeit small) gig and the usual downsides to that they were fantastic. Everyone on here universally dispises Sex on Fire but I don't mind admitting I'd give anything to be on a stage having an entire stadium singing a song I'd written back at me the way the crowd did. 

Thoroughly enjoyable evening. 

Earlier in the week we'd been to see Paolo Nutini at The Eden Project, again a gig for my wife, but, I was completely bowled over by Paolo. It wasn't what I was expecting from the twee early hits. 

His voice is absolutely fantastic, effortlessly gravelly, and he put on hell of a show. I'd happily go again tomorrow if he was playing somewhere. Well, I wouldn't actually because we're off to see Suede and Manics at Eden tomorrow. 

Went to Music Barn festival in Kettering this weekend. Band there called Dub Catalyst whose bassist had a righteous deep fat sound.

He had a five string jazz and a Barefaced Big Twin I think but I couldn’t get a good look at his amp. I did wonder if he was someone off Basschat. 

Good band - 10 piece, with horn section, DJ scratching etc in addition to the usual instruments.

Nice vibe for a summer afternoon in a big tent. 

Edited by bassbiscuits

Raging Speedhorn, dropped in at Slugfest yesterday to do a free half hour set, before going on to Swansea to play with Discharge.

Andy Gilmour using the Laney Digbeth to good effect...

Edited by doomed

Saw Manics and Suede at the Eden Project last night. 

Manics were on first which I was surprised at as they're arguably the bigger band. They were good but I always find them a little lacking something which I can't quite put my finger on. 

Then Suede came on and suddenly it was clear why they were on last. They were absolutely on fire and blew the Manics out of water. Brett Anderson is a fantastic frontman and had the crowd in the palm of his hand from the first line, huge energy. 

I had a great night. 

FB_IMG_1719753970267.thumb.jpg.6d56a46f15a0f8b44a6339578288357d.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2024 at 10:57, Woodinblack said:

Placebo last night in southampton. Absolutely great gig, best I have seen them. The venue had surprisingly good sound considering it was outside in guildhall square in Southampton which was all fenced off. It was remarkably warm, the hottest day of the year so far and obviously on a lot of stone it was warm, but by 8 the sun had gone around so there was shade from the high buildings.

There was a 5 minute break due to a fight at the front where they stopped the show to rant at them until they left (not sure what security were doing), but the rest was good, new stuff and old hits, ending with running up that hill.

Oh and the best bit, it was another no phone gig, I love those. Still had some people using them, wasnt absolute like tool was, but most people respected  it.

They are probably the most consistent band I have ever seen, never had a bad night. They are always absolutely on it start to finish. Good to hear the no,phone thing as well as that can kill a gig.

Local math-rock darlings Dutch Uncles in the unusual venue of Stockport’s parish church, Saint Mary’s in the Marketplace. 

IMG_5893.thumb.jpeg.5578060b6e0088d778c2bc7aa1c87b83.jpeg

Atmospheric but I’m not sure the acoustic did their sound any favours, as the complexities of their stuff went a bit muddy amid the reverberation. Bit different though. 

Saw Electric Six at Exeter Phoenix last Friday. Only a 500 capacity venue with very good sound, back to how gigs should be. 

Electric Six were fantastic, having fun but totally delivered the goods. 

mTEK01U.jpeg

• Like 1

On 14/07/2024 at 13:23, AndyTravis said:

Erm…

IMG_0657.jpeg

Sorry. Totally zero context.

intimate 2 hour set from Marcus Miller and band at Ronnie Scott’s - Mrs T got tickets for my 40th.

It was phenomenal really. Only about 15ft away from the man himself as he regaled us with stories and anecdotes and played a blinding set.

Started off with Panther, did numerous other favourites - including Run for cover which was unbeatable really.

was funny, as we queued up - a small unassuming guy walked towards the entrance with a Tracksuit top and Jeans on, big rucksack…and a pork pie hat…

He literally walked in as we were going through the door - very chilled and cool.

some moron soup guy grabbed him for a selfie - didn’t seem too happy about that so I didn’t get to say hello…met his keys player afterwards who was a serious player.

Anyhow - if you’re ever at Ronnie Scott’s, don’t bother with their food 😂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

if you’re ever at Ronnie Scott’s, don’t bother with their food

Nothing has changed since the ‘80s then. I remember the food being, er, unmemorable and feeling like I’d been shoe horned into the tightest space possible, which didn’t enhance the eating experience.

• 3 weeks later...