Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Went to see the Pasadena Roof Orchestra playing in  Bracknell last night. Such a fun evening and what superb music - all 20s and 30s swing band stuff. Puts the “old” in “old school”! Took our 13 year old lad and he loved it. Been watching our old Jeeves & Wooster DVDs with him and he fell in love with Anne Dudley’s score. So the PRO felt like a no brainer. Gotta get them while they’re young!

For those not familiar with them…

• Like 1

This pair of nutters: John Otway and Wild Willy Barrett from a front row seat at my local venue, The Sound Lounge in Sutton.

I've seen John on his own countless times, but this was the first time I've caught the two of them together and I was not disappointed. 

54037422020_2a591382cf_b.jpg

54037228618_fd42f000e4_b.jpg

54036108782_39a97e24e4_b.jpg

• Like 4

For some reason I had thought they had passed this mortal coil, I saw them in the 80's (I think) at Leicester Poly (I think) and had a great time (I think), I may have had a lot of something that night (I think), so it's a little hazy.

Edited by rwillett
  • Haha 2

I saw Englebert Humperdink a few weeks ago at the London Palladium.  Was really good and his band were great to. Only downside total lack of leg room in the peasant seats up in the gods my wife who is only 5ft 2 struggled with the leg room to. Really enjoyed the bass players solo to . Really enjoyable night and a comedian as the opening act.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nekomatic said:

Saw Otway with Attila The Stockbroker a few times back in the ‘90s, good times. 

Does he still shamble up to the mic, peer at the audience and announce ‘I’m Otway’?

Must confess I don’t think he said that this time, but there was nevertheless a lot of shambling gong on 

Edited by cybertect

24 minutes ago, The Attic Man said:

I saw Englebert Humperdink a few weeks ago at the London Palladium.  Was really good and his band were great to. Only downside total lack of leg room in the peasant seats up in the gods my wife who is only 5ft 2 struggled with the leg room to. Really enjoyed the bass players solo to . Really enjoyable night and a comedian as the opening act.

I had to go check and it was Hal Cruttenden, who is very good whenever I have seen him 👍

I saw Stewart Lee with Josie Long supporting at the Clapham Grand on Friday they were both on top form (though Stewart had to lunge his mic stand at a member of the audience who was being a total knob)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cybertect said:

I had to go check and it was Hal Cruttenden, who is very good whenever I have seen him 👍

I saw Stewart Lee with Josie Long supporting at the Clapham Grand on Friday they were both on top form (though Stewart had to lunge his mic stand at a member of the audience who was being a total knob)

I was really pleased when I found out it was Hal  Cruttenden as I've seen him before.

Oh wow Stewart Lee is awesome I haven't seen him live yet but he is on my list .

Seeing as we’re on a comedian theme, I saw Amy Gledhill last week. Fabulous comedian / actor /

writer from Hull, Amy won Best Show at this year’s Edinburgh Festival. She’s touring all over

the UK at the moment, very funny and highly recommended. 

• Like 2

The Courettes at Night and Day. Great fun, but couldn’t quite forgive them for using a backing track rather than a bassist (and an organist). Although they very nearly won me round by their endearing habit of yelling “IT’S SATURDAY NIGHT!” when it was quite patently Thursday. 

IMG_0286.thumb.jpeg.fce49eef925b0cff7a15f122b567897e.jpeg

Support was The Lotts, who had one trick and played it tolerably well… repeatedly. 

On 03/10/2024 at 11:38, cybertect said:

This pair of nutters: John Otway and Wild Willy Barrett from a front row seat at my local venue, The Sound Lounge in Sutton.

I've seen John on his own countless times, but this was the first time I've caught the two of them together and I was not disappointed. 

54037422020_2a591382cf_b.jpg

54037228618_fd42f000e4_b.jpg

54036108782_39a97e24e4_b.jpg

Ah yes, Willy's compact wah wah pedal...

Took me around 40 years from discovering them to seeing them, and lo and behold when we were watching the support we found ourselves sitting next to Mr O. They cheerfully chatted to us in the interval (Willy comprehensively fleeced us for t-shirts and albums).

20230520_202801.thumb.jpg.1f719df289df46af05285e824c660150.jpg

• Haha 1

On 06/10/2024 at 20:43, vbance said:

Wunderhorse, Bristol 02 Academy....this band never fail to deliver.

wunh1.jpg

wunh2.jpg

I'll show them that photo, Jacob getting some serious height on that jump there 🤣 

Glad you enjoyed the show, sorry I didn't get to say hello! 

7 hours ago, mike257 said:

I'll show them that photo, Jacob getting some serious height on that jump there 🤣 

Glad you enjoyed the show, sorry I didn't get to say hello! 

I did think about popping over to the desk to try say hi....maybe another time👍

Here's a better sized image.

o2academy 3.jpg

• Like 2

Jazzbois, at the Jazzcafe Camden tonight! I was such a Youtube fan when I discovered them last year, went to I think their first UK gig in summer, then tonight. Place was full which was nice to see. Love their vibe.

20241012_214217.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/10/2024 at 07:13, vbance said:

I did think about popping over to the desk to try say hi....maybe another time👍

Here's a better sized image.

o2academy 3.jpg

Cracking photo!

I wasn't at the sound desk for this one - I've been doubling up as tour manager and backline tech for most of the year but I've got a full crew out for the headline tour so just wearing my tour manager hat and not pushing faders or wrangling guitars at the moment. Mostly swearing at Excel sheets and crying at the amount of emails in my inbox 🤣

• Haha 2

Simply Dan (Steely Dan tribute) in Wokingham on Friday night.

Best Dan tribute of all the ones I've seen (Simply Dan, Stanley Dee, Stealing Dan & Don, Nearly Dan etc). I'd even go as far as to say that their guitarist Darren is one of THE finest guitarists in the country. 😎