Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

On 15/07/2024 at 17:53, ezbass said:

Nothing has changed since the ‘80s then. I remember the food being, er, unmemorable and feeling like I’d been shoe horned into the tightest space possible, which didn’t enhance the eating experience.

That was my brother's experience last year. Most people couldn't even see all of the band.

• Like 1

Ought to post this here. Last night we went to see one of our favourite live bands, Band of Friends - basically Gerry McAvoy and Brendan O'Neill, Rory Gallagher's bassist and drummer, with Jim Kirkpatrick (FM) doing most of the vocals (and a lot of guitar) and Paul Rose (who is an insanely good guitarist). They were insanely good and played for just short of two hours - Gerry is 72 ffs yet full of energy and with massive charisma.

Support was the James Oliver Band, James is forging a massive reputation with his insane gigging schedule, and here was playing at his 'home venue' the Earl Haig in Cardiff so he knew most of the audience and was merciless with his legendary banter! The EH is my favourite venue in South wales, I've played it myself several times, and it's a great atmosphere. Not many clubs have such a fantastic stage and lighting.

On the subject of photos, I kept them to a minimum and focused on enjoying the gigs.

James Oliver Band

20240731_200656.thumb.jpg.dd63b6b0fb10d5d6ffc0e258c46593aa.jpg

Band of Friends

20240731_223512.thumb.jpg.6069818c18bc9457100f7293a3ae9573.jpg

Paul posted this on FB last night:

453304791_877155940894366_7217115208385524336_n.thumb.jpg.2adc2b1fc9ddf0ca4760c22eed92080b.jpg

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Gerry is 72

He really doesn’t look it. Still out there, doing the do at 72, with gusto; the man is a force of nature. His book, if you haven’t read it, Riding Shotgun, is a pretty good read.

• Like 2

First day of Rebellion Festival done. 

We watched

Spunk volcano and the Eruptions 

The Meffs

18 Fevers

Subhumans 

UK Subs

Bar Stool Preachers

Sham 69

SV a t E were the standout today.

Edited by Peloquin
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Peloquin said:

We watched

The Meffs

18 Fevers

Subhumans 

UK Subs

Bar Stool Preachers

Sham 69

SV are great, featuring our very own @joeystrange of course

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peloquin said:

We watched

The Meffs

18 Fevers

Subhumans 

UK Subs

Bar Stool Preachers

Sham 69

Saturday will be good, Knock Off in the Club Kasbah followed by Gimp Fist in the Empress, a street-punk overload.

11 minutes ago, joeystrange said:

Ah mate, I didn’t see you! Next time!

Glad you enjoyed the set!

Im not there Joey, but have to extol the virtues of one of the best bands around. Hope alls well with you & the chaps.

• Like 2

Went to see the lovely Edwina Hayes at Runnymede Folk Club last night. Wonderfully intimate and relaxed way to watch a fab, folky Americana singer.

She did this one last night too (Eric Bogle’s And the band played Waltzing Matilda - depressing and lovely at the same time!).

I mentioned “Canada” over on the “How was your gig last night” thread.  They sometime do the same Jam night as my band “In Progress”.  The BL plays her tele well and sings well, but in “Canada” she is the drummer (she plays the kit well too). The bass player plays well and the lead guitarist and singer has a voice that’s different enough for them to have a good shot (IMO).  He liked my Walnut Ric, so he gets a few plus points for that 😀 (and would have had a few more if he’d said the player was also good😜).

14 hours ago, Peloquin said:

We were right at the front but more over the other side of the stage.  You knocked it outta the park mate.  Thank you. 

Sorry, I wasn’t paying enough attention and thought it was Lozz’s post 🤦‍♂️

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed it and enjoy the rest of your weekend too!

15 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Im not there Joey, but have to extol the virtues of one of the best bands around. Hope alls well with you & the chaps.

All good thanks mate! How about you? Hope to catch you soon!

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, joeystrange said:

Sorry, I wasn’t paying enough attention and thought it was Lozz’s post 🤦‍♂️

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed it and enjoy the rest of your weekend too!

All good thanks mate! How about you? Hope to catch you soon!

Yeah doing fine thanks, will have to make my way to one of your gigs soon, not seen you all for ages now.

• Like 1

Went to see Auger supported by Feather Trade and Beck Stacey at the Angel in Nottingham on Friday. First time in quite a while that I've attended a gig where I haven't also been playing myself, although if our synth player hadn't been on holiday I would have been doing this one too!

I play reasonably regularly at this venue and usually when the other bands are on I'm stood near the back working the merch table or after I've packed the gear away when it's nearly impossible to get anywhere near the stage. Since I was just a punter, I decided to venture down the front, and got a perfect demonstration of why EQ can't solve room problems. For Feather Trade especially the mix was very strange, with almost no guitar and lots of honky high-mid frequencies on the bass. Retreating to the back of the room where I normally stand (and where the mixing desk is) and the mix was almost perfect, plenty of guitar and a fuller-bodied bass sound.

Auger appear to have had some major personnel problems as tonight as last night it was just Kyle on vocals and guitar with everything else on backing. I heard a rumour before he went on that the drummer and keyboard player had pulled out of the tour with very little notice, hence the minimalist stage set up. Still he managed to put on a good show and also with everything going through the PA only the mix was much more consistent through the room. This tour may be the last chance to see Auger in the UK for a while as I believe Kyle is relocating to the EU where his music is a lot more popular and to make touring on the European mainland a lot easier.

Dean Friedman at Blair Atholl Castle. Nearly 70 years old, but still able to hit the high notes that he originally sang back in ‘78. Intimate gig, with a small audience, but Dean gave his all and was quite the raconteur. He stayed around to sign merch or have a selfie, I ended buying Well Well Said The Rocking Chair again 46 years on.

C300E1C1-EE8F-4C83-9901-57ED644A29AD.jpeg

Well that's Rebellion done,  I'll try to remember who I saw,  in no particular order...

Spunk Volcano  ( @joeystrange)😄

Dirtbox Disco

S L F

The Sweet

TV Smith

Henry Cluney 

In Evil Hour

Millie Manders and The Shutup 

The Baboon Show

The Alarm

Kirk Brandon

Channel 3

LA Inquisition 

Toyah

The Meffs 

Jess (Raising Ravens)

Roman Jugg (interview)

Old Time Sailors (🤔)

Barstool Preachers

The Pack

Boggy Formby

Cassie Fox

Subhumans 

Sham 69

18 Fevers

If I think of any others I'll add to it. 

Highlights, again,  no real order...

Dirtbox

SVatE

SLF

Henry Cluney

Millie Manders

TV Smith

In Evil Hour (if you get chance to see then acoustic, jump at it.)

• Like 2

The Sweet played again?

I remember my first Rebellion in 2015, The Sweet were the last band on in The Empress on the Sunday. They were excellent. And for some reason there were a lot of punks & skins line-dancing to them. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

The Sweet played again?

I remember my first Rebellion in 2015, The Sweet were the last band on in The Empress on the Sunday. They were excellent. And for some reason there were a lot of punks & skins line-dancing to them. 

Yeah,  they were in a packed out Empress.

They had a few tech problems and tbh I was a bit disappointed but willing to accept it was the monitor problems.  I stuck about 4 songs then gave a seat up for a lady on sticks so figured while I was up and moving I'd head out to try find the wife.

Korn….. absolutely fantastic in Halifax last night. Me and Mrs Rayman were suitably impressed…..

IMG_8714.thumb.jpeg.577ad436ecbf8a05fea61f317c50e448.jpeg

IMG_8705.thumb.jpeg.53f30177da2aeccdd70fc026a881575f.jpeg

Although the lady over my right shoulder seemed to be less enthusiastic 😆

• Haha 2

It wasn’t last night but a few weeks ago I saw Death From Above 1979 for the first time. They were touring for the 20th anniversary of ‘You’re A Woman, I’m A Machine’ which they played in full followed by some more songs.

We went to the Manchester show and it was so good that when my gig got cancelled a few weeks later I went to see them again in Birmingham.

The first show was one of the best I’ve seen in 25 years of going to shows. The second was just as good but it didn’t have the magic of the first time seeing them.

Jesse Keeler’s bass sound is absolutely incredible. Monstrous.

IMG_3266.jpeg

IMG_3297.jpeg

I saw Vincen Garcia last night at Green Man festival - the guy is an absolute beast! It's a big ask to keep the whole audience entertained - not just the bass nerds - but he did it with aplomb and the tent was rammed and hugely appreciative. Most technically gifted player I've seen or are likely to ever again.