Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

On 13/10/2024 at 22:22, Count Bassy said:

Wishbone Ash in Rugby, Friday just gone. Only one original left now, but still a great night. Always beem on my wish list, but last Friday was the first time.

Saw them (the Andy Powell one I assume) last year at Northern Kin. It was something of a surprise to find myself watching the whole of Argus performed live, I really enjoyed it.

just got back from seeing the Long Ryders at the Metronome in Nottingham, lovely venue holds about 400 probably half full, (it was a Monday night), knew every song, it always helps, great sound, although the bass could have done with being a touch louder, I would say that wouldn't I?

• Like 1

Very enjoyable show from Alice Cooper last night. 

Interesting choices were made for the piped in music, "I Better Be Good" from Zipper Catches Skin was allowed to finish before the band hit the stage 😀

The Coop was in fine form, the band were great; Sheryl was as gorgeous as ever 😍

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Saw them (the Andy Powell one I assume) last year at Northern Kin. It was something of a surprise to find myself watching the whole of Argus performed live, I really enjoyed it.

I’ve seen WA (both versions) more than any other band and I’ve always been left a bit deflated. There always seemed to be a bit of going through the motions, with the non original members merely filling a space, rather than bringing something to the the performance. The best shows of WA tunes I’ve seen, was delivered by the tribute band Ashbone-U-Wish (sadly no more), whom I’ve seen more than once (for complete transparency, AUW was made up of friends of mine, but this probably makes me more critical, rather than just bigging up my mates).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

just got back from seeing the Long Ryders at the Metronome in Nottingham, lovely venue holds about 400 probably half full, (it was a Monday night), knew every song, it always helps, great sound, although the bass could have done with being a touch louder, I would say that wouldn't I?

One of my favs for many decades too. I was very tempted to catch the Long Ryders in London tomorrow, but I was already out three nights this week (music comedy, and podcast live recordings) - I didn't think I could manage a fourth!

• Like 1

The Bonzo Bills Band (a confection of The BonzoDog Band, Three Bonzos and a Piano and the Bill Posters Will Be Band) were playing at CryerArts Theatre near me in Carshalton in South London on Sunday evening.

It's been a while since I've seen any of the Bonzos perform, so a seat was secured in the front row and I was not disappointed

God knows where Roger Ruskin Spear gets his energy, channelling Sally Bowles perched on the back of a chair, wearing heels; he's 81 now!

Bonzo Bills Comedy Band

54066001468_3f0cc057a2_b.jpg

54068529588_54bbff7aef_b.jpg

54068270801_96bcebfd0f_b.jpg

Edited by cybertect
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 15/10/2024 at 08:28, ezbass said:

I’ve seen WA (both versions) more than any other band and I’ve always been left a bit deflated. There always seemed to be a bit of going through the motions, with the non original members merely filling a space, rather than bringing something to the the performance.

I sort of know what you mean. Part of the problem may be, I think, that their music is very structured and doesn't really lend itself to going "off piste".

I personally prefer a concert where you're never quite sure what is going to happen, and the members are toying with each other.

However, still glad to have seen one vesion of Wishbone Ash while I still can!

Caravan Palace last night at Manchester Albert Hall. Got there a bit late so we ended up at the front end of the balcony overlooking the bassplayer.

Astonishingly talented bunch of multi instrumentalists, and given that we were behind the main PA and just getting a mix off a backfill speaker the sound wasn't as bad as I feared. The bass sound, in the context of the live mix, was one of the best I've ever heard (Seafoam green Fender jazz, tort, rosewood, blocks, and an EUB for a few numbers). The disappointing thing was he only used the Jazz for about 3 or 4 songs.

Former 'Alan Parsons Live Project' guitarist, now respected blues guitarist.... Alastair Greene at Aldershit West End Centre last night.

Great player, gig and venue!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cetera said:

Former 'Alan Parsons Live Project' guitarist, now respected blues guitarist.... Alastair Greene at Aldershit West End Centre last night.

Great player, gig and venue!

Typo or Freudian(a) slip? Come to think of it, never mind, I’ve been to Aldershot… ;) 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

Typo or Freudian(a) slip? Come to think of it, never mind, I’ve been to Aldershot… ;) 

Not a typo.... ;)

Rough old squaddie town. Best avoided...

• Thanks 1

Went to see IST IST at the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham last night. Probably the best gig I have attended as a punter since The Last Cry just over a year ago. I discovered the band fairly recently so I was unfamiliar with about half the songs they played, but it really didn't matter. Everything was engaging and the fact that I didn't know a lot of the songs was in no way an impediment to enjoying the gig. 

Unfortunately the same could not be said for the support band. Not to my taste at all and apparently they have been support for the whole tour which is strange because musically they had little in common with the headliners.

I went to see Alice Cooper last night. 

Never seen him before, not an enormous fan but always wanted to go. 

The Meffs were on first but we missed them due to traffic,  can't say I'm bothered as I've seen them before and tbh I don't understand the attraction of them. 

Primal Scream were next... just garbage. 

The singer(dunno or care about his name) acted and sounded like he was off his head,  kept introducing the wrong song next and messed up the words a few times.

I was glad when they went off but a few others seemed to really enjoy them...I love this about music. 

Alice came on and owned the place.  He was real good,  strutting around and ordering people to sing. 

Hardly any recognition that the audience was there,  sorry if reminded me of how The Ramones were,  just song after song, no talky bits in between. 

I didn't know a few of the songs but the sound was so good that I could hear every word. 

Id go see him again. 

20241017_211611.thumb.jpg.fb835527d5a0ac1ca8c54295d4c8e136.jpg

20241017_223821.thumb.jpg.cb38c3bdd91ca3375084aacf87c4b10b.jpg

• Like 6

Just back from seeing the Stacey Brothers’ The Royal Scammers doing an evening of Steely Dan tunes. There are loads of incredibly talented Dan tribute bands out there but I doubt any could match the caliber of this crew… when you’ve got Mike Lindup from Level 42 playing keys and Yolanda Charles on bass just take it as read that the band’s a bit good!!!

46797312_Unknown.thumb.jpeg.c9ef0a61abb22bae2a7e7e406cb4b20e.jpeg46797408_Unknown.thumb.jpeg.989971de7df90229efda5e9648b1c399.jpeg46797536_Unknown.thumb.jpeg.996850986a9ba6e4905eb4c652a79698.jpeg

On 15/10/2024 at 03:54, kodiakblair said:

Very enjoyable show from Alice Cooper last night. 

Interesting choices were made for the piped in music, "I Better Be Good" from Zipper Catches Skin was allowed to finish before the band hit the stage 😀

The Coop was in fine form, the band were great; Sheryl was as gorgeous as ever 😍

You were in the same postcode as Sheryl crow ?   #notjealousatall

Dream Theater last night at the O2.

Went with #2 son who got me tickets for my birthday before I had booked the operation on my ankle. We were due to be in the nosebleeds seats right at the very top and up 33 steps that were virtually vertical and which I would never have made with the walking crutch I am using to get around at the moment. Spoke to staff at the venue who were really good and managed to move us down to seats on a balcony at level one. Because walking was going to be a pain I booked valet parking, which I can heartily recommend as although slightly more expensive it is straight to the door of the venue, leave the keys without the faff of finding a parking space and straight back out again to a car waiting at the door so between a few people in a car well worth it. 😁

Other than gigs at the Brighton Centre, it’s the first one that I have been to in such a large venue. The sound was generally good and it was a great show. John Myung’s bass sound was epic 🥰

I was going to sell ‘the appliance’ but maybe I’ll start hiring it out with a false plaster cast to others heading to arena gigs 😉🤣

IMG_0365.jpeg

IMG_0364.jpeg

FE015325-A210-423D-B6DD-65A6ABF50CEC.jpeg

• Like 1