Why become a member? ×

What a drummer this guy is.

bubinga5

That's great, particularly that work on the hi hat. I remember when Take Five first came out Brubeck would vamp on the piano under Joe's solo to keep things together. Soon after, Joe would handle the 5/4 rhythm unaided and, of course, today's young (and not so young) drummers handle polyrhythms without any difficulty. Thanks for the post, Dad.

Guest Jecklin

Without wanting to turn this into a Morello thread I find he the most sublime of drummers.
A HUGE dynamic range, playing for the tune and yet always having something up his sleeve for solos. There are some great vids on YouTube from when brubeck was touring timeout on various TV shows. Brubeck would just turn and watch morellos solos, obviously in rapt enjoyment.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1446896997' post='2903268']
Joe Morello is one of my very top favourite drummers. I've even, unwittingly, adopted his stick-dropping technique..! :blush:
[/quote]

You will need to work on nudging your glasses back on your nose and pulling the bass drum back all mid flow too Dad :D

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1446899650' post='2903319']...
You will need to work on nudging your glasses back on your nose and pulling the bass drum back all mid flow too Dad :D
[/quote]

You've seen me play..? Ha..! I've cracked it since, with a trusty rug, but I had periods of lashing rope around the kit, driving 6" nails into stages before the spurs and, yes, hauling the lot back when we played on tiled floors..! Been there, done that, etc..!
Incidentally, and while I'm here, it took me quite a while to be able to listen to the original 'Take 5' and count, under my breath, the underlying beat for the whole length of his solo spot. The tricks and turns in there are stupendous, and he comes through the other side with an aplomb that demands admiration. I followed his method books on independence and gained a healthy respect for his work. There are many modern drummers with spectacular 'chops', but his 'old-school' musicality remained impressive to the very end. One of the true 'greats' of the instrument, and an inspiration still for many.

Guest Jecklin

Sorry, Sorry I said I wouldn't do it......

This solo video has it all -
1:40 glasses nudged on nose
1:53 bass drum pulled back
2:10 brubeck looking and thikning "that's ma boy"
2:20 onwards the THUNDER build up and then back to metzopiano for the band to join after.

Ace!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54uhjDErU-Y

Guest Jecklin

Oh and the coleman video is NICE, just wish it didn't have the damn metronome. Really grates and detracts when he is playing across it (but I know it then shows how rock solid he is when he joins on the 1 again)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1446896997' post='2903268'] Joe Morello is one of my very top favourite drummers. I've even, unwittingly, adopted his stick-dropping technique..! :blush: [/quote]

That's something that seems to have seamlessly made the transition from jazz to rock.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1446836924' post='2902836']
Chris Coleman in my ears is such a fantastic drummer. very clever drumming.[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWl8rnZaQMI[/media]
[/quote]

I just listened to that again and, while I am sure he is a very talented drummer, it doesn't hold my interest at all.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1447098836' post='2904895']
Send those children home..... :lol:...
[/quote]

Quite. It's called 'virtuosity', attained typically through much rehearsal and personal commitment, usually aided by an enjoyment of what one is doing. Can be recognised in many fields. Great posts; brought back memories of Shakti at the Hammersmith Odeon, back in '76. Cheers.

Well, for technical virtuosity, let me offer the famous (infamous..?) 'Black Page' duet here. Please note that this is not improvised, but scored music, played in unison, live before an audience. The score scrolls beneath the twin screens for those that wish to follow. Here, then, is...

http://youtu.be/NjpZihqVY-g