Why become a member? ×

Forget clean - what would you look for in a filthy cab?

Naetharu

More questions folks,

After spending 15-mins blasting away Muse and Monster-Truck riffs at volume in PMT I've totally fallen in love with the Orange OB1-300 head.

For reference it is one of these:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJeEnWuZiT8[/media]

I'm pretty set on getting myself one come the new year and so this leaves me with the question of which Cab/Cabs to match up with it. In an ideal world I would be able to try out loads of options, but bass shops being what they are there is little chance of that happening.

So, here is the question then. What would you/should I look for when it comes to a cab that is going to work well with an amp of this sort. I'm especially interested in something that is really going to make the most of those shockingly dirty tones. My first thought was a pair of 112 cabs from somewhere like Purple Chili or Barefaced given how much love I have heard for them. However, I'm asking for advice because all the recommendations are for the clean and clear tones that cabs offer which is not quite what I am after.

Edited by Naetharu

Don't accept compromise, but play fair. Insist on trying cabs, and buy from a shop which lets you try.

You've found your amp and you want a matching cab which narrows down your search. Buy the amp and take it with you when you try, then it doesn't matter if the shop doesn't stock Orange.

The only way to get a sound you like is to try because one persons perception of clean or filthy won't be the same as yours. If we all buy on the web then the shops will disappear. Many shops will match internet prices anyway within a few quid and you should get decent after sales so it's good financially in most cases. If you know the after sales is poor then the shop deserves to fail but that is another issue. (rant over)

There's loads of good shops that carry a range of cabs, how about a trip to Brighton to try Barefaced. There are bass shows around and of course the bass bashes which give you the chance to try and to listen. Personally I'd rather take months and buy what I want than rush into something I'm only 60% happy with.

Have loads of fun trying though :)

I would be going for clean-ish cabs as you're getting your dirt from the head so any of those you suggested would be fine (though TKS is where I'm looking at the moment).

But saying that I know a lot of Orange users like the sound of their matching cabs. Or you could go for a chunky Matamp cab.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1447246343' post='2906045']
Can't beat a good old fashioned mouse nest, stale pet urine or a nice mould forest IMHO, spiders just aren't stinky enough.
[/quote]
Good point.
But if you play through the cab, then the spiders might come running out, which could be a nice touch on stage. And if you have a female singer, they'll help her reach the high notes. :)

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1447215340' post='2905854']
I'm especially interested in something that is really going to make the most of those shockingly dirty tones. My first thought was a pair of 112 cabs from somewhere like Purple Chili or Barefaced given how much love I have heard for them. However, I'm asking for advice because all the recommendations are for the clean and clear tones that cabs offer which is not quite what I am after.
[/quote]

I'm personally a fan of the dirty amp (or preamp/pedal etc) and neutral/clean speaker combination. To my ear most bass cabs add a colouration that I find unpleasant to various degrees even though I actually like a tone with a fair bit of drive/dirt to it. It also has the advantage of not making your tone a hostage to your cab which is useful when you need to DI for live or recording use.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1447235286' post='2905914']
I'd look for a clean powerful rig and add the "dirt" with pedals etc.
[/quote]

I appreciate this approach, but I just love the sound that the OB1-300 makes. It really works for me and would be very usable for the kind of music that I am playing with my main band. I was just hoping for some tips regarding cabs since I had no idea where to start and figured some folks on here have no doubt been in the same situation and would have lots of wisdom on the matter.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1447259190' post='2906215']
I appreciate this approach, but I just love the sound that the OB1-300 makes. It really works for me and would be very usable for the kind of music that I am playing with my main band. I was just hoping for some tips regarding cabs since I had no idea where to start and figured some folks on here have no doubt been in the same situation and would have lots of wisdom on the matter.
[/quote]
So on that, why not buy the cab that you heard it through?
That way you're gonna get that sound that you heard & liked.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1447260580' post='2906237']
So on that, why not buy the cab that you heard it through?
That way you're gonna get that sound that you heard & liked.
[/quote]

Basically because I liked the amp but not the cab. The amp voicing, the EQ range and the bendable drive are perfect for what I am after. The matching cab, which is the Orange Smart-Power, is way over-priced and while it sounds good its nothing stunning. I just thought I would ask on here to see what people thought since most of the discussion I have read about cabs has been looking for stuff to use with a clean bass tone.

I use a Barefaced Super 12T with my driven/distorted/clanky sound (tweeter off mind). The benefit is I can send the sound to FOH and know it`s just about the same as what I have on stage, as opposed to a cab that adds it`s own colour to the sound. Lightweight, powerful, but most importantly a good control over the sound. I think your instincts on a couple of BF 112s is a good one.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1447261486' post='2906248']
Basically because I liked the amp but not the cab. The amp voicing, the EQ range and the bendable drive are perfect for what I am after. The matching cab, which is the Orange Smart-Power, is way over-priced and while it sounds good its nothing stunning. I just thought I would ask on here to see what people thought since most of the discussion I have read about cabs has been looking for stuff to use with a clean bass tone.
[/quote]
Did you try the amp through a different cab? I would. That way you know that you liked the amp's sound & not a mix of the two.
I like MarkBass cabs, but only you can decide if it sounds good with that amp.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1447265533' post='2906297']
Did you try the amp through a different cab? I would. That way you know that you liked the amp's sound & not a mix of the two.
I like MarkBass cabs, but only you can decide if it sounds good with that amp.
[/quote]]

I appreciate the advice. I have had a chance to test it out via a TC-Electronic 210 too, since they also had one of them in the store at the time. I'm 100% I love the amp - I really like the dirty drive, the blend function and I found the EQ really well voiced. There is no question in my mind at all as to that. I was just wondering about which cab/cabs might be good to look at but could only find information on here regarding cabs that were good for clean tones. I know its a case of needing to try it for myself but I am hoping that a little advice might narrow the list down a bit :)

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1447287637' post='2906500']
]
I was just wondering about which cab/cabs might be good to look at but could only find information on here regarding cabs that were good for clean tones.
[/quote]

It seems to me that actually the majority of people using "clean" cabs on here actually use some drive or dirt in their sound at least some of the time judging by the setups and music styles mentioned. In other words often when people say they want a clean/neutral cab then mean exactly that - a clean CAB not necessarily a clean overall sound. Its important distinction.

I play with the cleanest tone I can get, but it seems to me that if you're relying on the sound of the cab and amp for the "dirt", your sound will change by the room, stage and how you feel like playing on any particular day. Even when you don't want it to change.

Pedals will get you your sound more consistently and will be more flexible.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1447323814' post='2906645']
I play with the cleanest tone I can get, but it seems to me that if you're relying on the sound of the cab and amp for the "dirt", your sound will change by the room, stage and how you feel like playing on any particular day. Even when you don't want it to change.

Pedals will get you your sound more consistently and will be more flexible.[/quote]

If it's the preamp half of the amp that's doing the dirt, as in the OB-1, then that'll be just as consistent as using a pedal. The power amp side of things in that amp runs clean (until it runs out of power). Deliberately overdriving cabs will be much more complicated as you say, because the amount of dirt you get will vary with how hard you're pushing them, and that'll vary with venues, how the band is playing, how angry you're feeling etc etc.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1447323814' post='2906645']

Pedals will get you your sound more consistently and will be more flexible.
[/quote]

Its not that I am after a cab to make the amp sound driven/dirty. It was just wondering if there were any features/makes/models that I should know about given that this is the kind of sound I was after. The drive is coming from the pre-amp section as mentioned by Alex above. From what I understand this is the same principle as using a pedal - the power-amp on the OB1 is actually really clean - I made sure to test the amp for headroom in that respect and was really impressed with it.

But anyhow, it seems that there is no clear answer to my question. I'll just have to have a bit of a hunt around until I find something that works for me. I just thought it worth asking as in the past I have found advice on here pointing me in the direction of gear that I would never have otherwise heard of. Namely, Maruszczyk basses which turned out to be exactly what I was looking for and I am 100% I would never have come across them had it not been for a suggestion on here :)

Hiho,Hope this helps.
I use an Orange Bass Terror 500 with a SP212 and an OBC 115.
I tried other cabs with the head when I bought it and the Orange sp212 was the winner.I have gigged the Terror and the SP cab for 2 1/2 years with no complaints about sound or volume.
Recently I got an OBC 115.When I a/b them they sound very similar-together ,oh boy drastic EQ change.The sound is enormous,had to pull back bass,treble n middle along with the volume.
All I can say is -if you like the Orange sound get the Orange cabs that,s what everything is voiced for The Voice Of The World.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1447246639' post='2906048']
If you're primarily playing dirty and overdriven tones, the first thing I'd look for is the absence of a tweeter. Beyond that, I'd really want to try them all.
[/quote]

This. I use a vertical stack of two Ampeg SVT210AV cabs, which is too narrow for that amp, but just right for my Terror Bass!