Why become a member? ×

Forget clean - what would you look for in a filthy cab?

Naetharu

Well slight change of plans...went to the store to get the amp and came across a demo-model of the Red Witch Zeus pedal. Tried it out just out of interest really after liking the video demo they did and wow...best fuzz ever (to my ears at least).

So, looks like the Orange is out - going to stick with my current amp with a Red Witch slapped in front of it.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1447358927' post='2907102']
This. I use a vertical stack of two Ampeg SVT210AV cabs, which is too narrow for that amp, but just right for my Terror Bass!
[/quote]

The ampeg cabs look great but they are not quite powerful enough - they say the RMS rating is 200-watts @ 8ohms and I need a minimum of 250-watts according to Ashdown. Alas, they would have been great for the Orange amp...oh things are never simple :D

Edited by Naetharu

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1447573983' post='2908556']
The ampeg cabs look great but they are not quite powerful enough - they say the RMS rating is 200-watts @ 8ohms and I need a minimum of 250-watts according to Ashdown. Alas, they would have been great for the Orange amp...oh things are never simple :D
[/quote]
A good reason to ignore the specified watts? :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1447584855' post='2908629']
A good reason to ignore the specified watts? :)
[/quote]

Is that not just going to be a road to disaster? I know watt ratings are dubious when used to estimate loudness, but is it not rather sensible to ensure that the speaker-cab you're running is at least able to match (and preferably exceed) the watts that the amp will be putting out?

A fair point but it's better to be safe than sorry!

I've always made sure my cabs RMS power handling is higher than the amp's stated power and I've never had to deal with a broken speaker.

Sure, I have used cabs which aren't as high power handling on a few occasions with great results, but to me it isn't worth the risk

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1447773699' post='2910217']
But how do you know how many watts your amp is putting out without using a meter to measure it?
It's very doubtful that it'll be consistently putting out anywhere near what the manufacturer specified it as being.
[/quote]

All I know is that I've spoken to a technical support chap at Ashdown (they are about 5 mins down the road from me so I have the luxury of being able to pop in an ask) and I was told that at 8ohms I should expect around 240-watts so a 250-watt+ cab is needed for safe operation, more if possible.

I do agree, that often due to the amp not being cranked to a crazy extent it may not come near this, but the measurement is designed as a safety buffer so I would rather keep within it. Also, from what I understand, the use of fuzz can also add additional stress to speakers so something that will be a little tougher is probably a good idea less I risk ending up with a dead cab halfway through a gig. :)

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1447776014' post='2910256']
All I know is that I've spoken to a technical support chap at Ashdown (they are about 5 mins down the road from me so I have the luxury of being able to pop in an ask) and I was told that at 8ohms I should expect around 240-watts so a 250-watt+ cab is needed for safe operation, more if possible.

I do agree, that often due to the amp not being cranked to a crazy extent it may not come near this, but the measurement is designed as a safety buffer so I would rather keep within it. Also, from what I understand, the use of fuzz can also add additional stress to speakers so something that will be a little tougher is probably a good idea less I risk ending up with a dead cab halfway through a gig. :)
[/quote]

At these relatively low power/volume levels Id play it safe too, if we were talking about a 500 watt amp and a 400 watt speaker I'd say go for it on the basis that the limiting factor would be the volume you could realistically employ rather than what the speaker could handle.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1447754450' post='2909961']Is that not just going to be a road to disaster? I know watt ratings are dubious when used to estimate loudness, but is it not rather sensible to ensure that the speaker-cab you're running is at least able to match (and preferably exceed) the watts that the amp will be putting out?[/quote]

Both power amp ratings and speaker ratings are rather inconsistent - they're complex things. It's possible to blow speakers with much less than their rated power and it's possible to power them with an amp with much more than their rated power.

For guitar use, which often involves overdrive, I'd generally go for a speaker with twice the power rating of the amp. For PA use, where the amp will always be running clean, I'd generally for an amp with twice the power rating of the speaker.

Bass guitar use could be anywhere between the two - and if using piles of FX pedals and dirt and pushing amps into clipping it could be even harder on speakers than guitar use.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1447779587' post='2910305']
Bass guitar use could be anywhere between the two - and if using piles of FX pedals and dirt and pushing amps into clipping it could be even harder on speakers than guitar use.
[/quote]

This is basically my issue - I'm playing with quite a bit of fuzz on some songs (just ordered myself a Zeus for this purpose) and so I want to be sensible and err on the side of caution. I've actually just purchased the cab - a 400-watt 8ohm GK cab. I know there is no surefire way to ensure you don't blow speakers but I'd certainly rather do my best to avoid upping the risk.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1447782487' post='2910357']
This is basically my issue - I'm playing with quite a bit of fuzz on some songs (just ordered myself a Zeus for this purpose) and so I want to be sensible and err on the side of caution. I've actually just purchased the cab - a 400-watt 8ohm GK cab. I know there is no surefire way to ensure you don't blow speakers but I'd certainly rather do my best to avoid upping the risk.
[/quote]
it's good that you're wanting to be cautious. Using effects means you might have to take some of them into account.
If you're using low pass filter or octave down (or like I used to, both with added dirt too), then you are considerably increasing how much the driver is travelling to get the same volume as you would have without the fx.
This means that regardless of watts, if your low end is needing more movement, then there's the increased chance of the driver reaching it's maximum travel & failing.
If you're just using dirt, then there's a chance that it takes away a little of your bottom end, which in theory should allow you to go louder. But as you're using dirt, there's the downside that you're less likely to hear when you're pushing the drivers too hard.