Why become a member? ×

It shouldn't work but it does. Slap machine with flats.

fretmeister

I was bored yesterday so I went through my big bag of old strings to see if I could identify what I had.

I found an old set of Ti Flats and for no reason other than curiosity I put them onto a Fender Urge II - mainly because the core tone of the Urge is very modern and quite bright. Most of the time I find that bass too modern for the stuff I'm playing these days. Even with old nickels I tend to have the treble on zero and the mids turned down halfway as well.

I never thought that a set of old flats would suit that bass, but it sounds fantastic!

With the treble and mids at zero and with the bass flat it sounds thick and plummy. With everything flat and all 3 pickups on it sounds like a P bass with a little more bite / definition probably from the bridge J pickup.

I wish I had tried those strings on that bass earlier - I suppose my brain just wouldn't consider a Stu Hamm slap machine with flats.

Don't really know what my point is! But I'm very happy with it!

Sounds great. I've moved over to using Nylons myself and I love the slap sound with them too. I guess the issue is more one of convention - often people are after a certain sound characteristic of some record or player. But if it sounds good to you then go for it. I might have to try some steel flats soon :D

Talking about something that shouldn't really work but does...
Saw a local band and the guy was using an SG bass with an Ampeg
micro and it wasn't working... (the bass sound wasn't my cuppa anyway
but it did nothing for the band mix and had their was no bass in the mix,
basically, so the band sound was WEAK.....was crying out for a P-Bass, but there you go)
Swapped it over for a micro dub bass with rubber strings and it transformed
the band sound...

Soon swapped back to the SG/EB0 and lost it again..

Qui

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1447680636' post='2909445']
I've got Nylons on my fretless and really like them on that. But that seems to be a "proper" use for them!
[/quote]

Hehe, I have them on my Maruszczyk Elwood fretted, and I use them to play metal/prog often with a good dose of drive/fuzz. Perhaps not what you would imagine nylons being used for but they sound awesome.