Why become a member? ×

what's the future like for bass has it all been done?

zawinul

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1447791669' post='2910485'] ... I don't suppose much can happen with pianos until they get more than 88 keys. [/quote]
Or they could make the keys more expressive...

http://youtu.be/T-ErKSrKDsc

[b] what's the future like for bass has it all been done?[/b]

if you are a musician, this is just a stupid question.
Music can never be done.
If this is a real question, you need to put the bass down and never play it again. Perhaps take up knitting, because you will never make a musician.
I mean WHAT!!

Having been watching the world of bass for over thirty years, I feel qualified to state that there are always innovations and there are always new things happening. What is interesting is the direction of travel in terms of WHERE those innovations can be found. A lot of new ideas are difficult to access in the mainstream as 'innovation' is, more than ever, a niche market. The 'faster, harder, longer' brigade are always there; I call them 'the jugglers', making more and more noise with different techniques, slapping, tapping with increasingly complex patterns, different parts of the body etc etc. It sometimes feels like a bit of freak show (the guy who dresses as a schoolgirl etc) but there are a lot of people with interesting ideas that are grafting away in the corners of the internet or in genres that seldom cross anyone's path accidentally.

I think every instrument has aperiod where the innovations are spectacular and fast paced but, as things move forward, the innovations become more nuanced and subtle. What interests me at the momemnt is where the bass is going to find itself in terms of it's use by composers. The whizzy playing is starting to eat itself (I can't watch bass soloists who are just being clever for the sake of impressing other bass players - it is so utterly futile and obvious to the listener. Clever but no artistic merit. What we need is beautiful and in context.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1447854047' post='2910938']
Or they could make the keys more expressive...
[/quote]

I find the seaboard really hard to get on with, my fingers want to stick to it which seems to fly in the face of the sliding functionality

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1448017905' post='2912287']
Having been watching the world of bass for over thirty years, I feel qualified to state that there are always innovations and there are always new things happening. What is interesting is the direction of travel in terms of WHERE those innovations can be found. A lot of new ideas are difficult to access in the mainstream as 'innovation' is, more than ever, a niche market. The 'faster, harder, longer' brigade are always there; I call them 'the jugglers', making more and more noise with different techniques, slapping, tapping with increasingly complex patterns, different parts of the body etc etc. It sometimes feels like a bit of freak show (the guy who dresses as a schoolgirl etc) but there are a lot of people with interesting ideas that are grafting away in the corners of the internet or in genres that seldom cross anyone's path accidentally.

I think every instrument has aperiod where the innovations are spectacular and fast paced but, as things move forward, the innovations become more nuanced and subtle. What interests me at the momemnt is where the bass is going to find itself in terms of it's use by composers. The whizzy playing is starting to eat itself (I can't watch bass soloists who are just being clever for the sake of impressing other bass players - it is so utterly futile and obvious to the listener. Clever but no artistic merit. What we need is beautiful and in context.
[/quote]

yeah that what I mean, all this tapping and 19 string bass stuff doesn;t really do it for me... stuff must be out there I;ve got to look harder!!

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1447789546' post='2910440']
I mean in terms of styles we've had finger style, funk, slap, reggae, fretless, metal, tapping (which I hate!!)

to be honest I'm not hearing much innovation around but maybe that's just the inherent limitation of a 4 stringed instrument. ..

Stuff done on 6,7,8 strings also doesn't interest me it just sounds like bassists may as well play guitar

whats the future? are we just doomed to play the great bass lines of the past?

Personally for me the only answer is to make the bass sound as unlike a bass as possible or play a synth!

Am I just bored of the bass?
[/quote]

There's a great deal of 'innovative' (whatever that even means, I don't really even know what it means) music, often including bass instruments, from all around the world. How much of it have you actually listened to?

Have you fully familiarized yourself with Congolese funk, with Ethiopian jazz, with the clave rhythms of Cuba, with the dancing melodies of Jewish klezmer, with the developments in nueva flamenca, and so on and so forth?

Put on a CD or an mp3 of a music with which you are wholly unfamiliar. Play along and for yourself at least you will be innovating.

There's a whole world waiting for you.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1448022244' post='2912355']
I find the seaboard really hard to get on with, my fingers want to stick to it which seems to fly in the face of the sliding functionality
[/quote]
Sticky fingers, eh. Never had that problem for a while. :yarr:

I know what you mean. I had a play on the Grand & the Rise.
A rub of oil would go a long way, though you'd maybe need to wash your hands during any breaks so your drink doesn't slide out of your hand.

Great concept though & the aftertouch on it is really good.