Why become a member? ×

how does jaco get that synth sound on teen town, pedal, or zawinul?

zawinul

just listened to this live version of teen town, Theres a lovely synth sound to some of this , I know in the studio ZAwinul doubled the bass on synth, but this sounds unlikely here, I wonder if anyone knows what pedal is being used?

amazing playing, Jaco was and will always remain the best player who ever lived!!

http://jazztimes.com/articles/170475-excusive-premiere-weather-report-s-teen-town

Jaco used an octaver on one section of the song.

The live DVD I have of Weather Report clearly shows Zawinul doubling the bass part on a synth with his left hand - seemingly effortlessly - the bass part played by Jaco is great in itself but played together - Incredible.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1447806742' post='2910658']
Probably my favourite band of all time, I keep discovering new things in their music. . Its got immense groove and technicallry so complex on another planet really!!
[/quote]

Yes agreed - I love it - 35 yrs or so after first hearing it. I went through a phase of learning Weather Report pieces from transcriptions about 10 yrs ago - I still play Teen Town when practicing at home but have never been able to keep up adequately playing along with the CD!!

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1447806742' post='2910658']
Probably my favourite band of all time, I keep discovering new things in their music. . Its got immense groove and technically so complex on another planet really!!
[/quote]

Hence your user name :).

Have you seen the Joe Zawinul 75th birthday DVD ?

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1447808727' post='2910667']
Hence your user name :).

Have you seen the Joe Zawinul 75th birthday DVD ?
[/quote]

No, i'll have to check it out!

I only managed to see Zawinul once with his band just a few years before he died, blistering, musical, weird, crazy, awesome, one of the most important musicians on the 20th C for sure