Why become a member? ×

Bass preamp that doesn't colour the tone

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1448007091' post='2912162']
I'm surprised...Any bass I've ever had, plugged into any amp I've ever had, with the input up full, would just be a very loud mess.
[/quote]

Actually my MAG-300 is like this - I need to turn the input gain up to 100% to get the VU meter to move to around half way when playing with some passion. Just no chance of clipping on the input gain at all. No idea if that is normal or not but it sounds find and goes plenty loud when asked with a perfectly clear and clean tone.

Really, I'm totally surprised. In that situation, I'd be looking at which was duff, the bass or the amp! In the OPs case, as he's certain the bass is that low an output, I'd be spreading its guts on the bench to find out why! Maybe it's got 25K pots instead of 250K...

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1448054484' post='2912832']
Really, I'm totally surprised. In that situation, I'd be looking at which was duff, the bass or the amp! In the OPs case, as he's certain the bass is that low an output, I'd be spreading its guts on the bench to find out why! Maybe it's got 25K pots instead of 250K...
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. I had a bass with low output - even after I'd connected the pickups directly to the output jack. Turns out that it was a duff set of pickups. However I was still able to get a usable volume out of it by turning up the input gain on my amp.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1448054484' post='2912832']
[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with the electronics in the bass. The pots work perfectly and are 500k pots as are standard on the Peavey Zephyr C4. Please don't misunderstand me, the bass is not deathly quiet, just lower output than my other Zephyr which I have equipped with Seymour Duncan SSB5's. The SD's have increased the output but altered the tone. I'd like to keep the original pickups in the C4 but boost the output a little.

Edited by MoJo

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1448140469' post='2913323']
I'd use a MXR Micro Amp, second hand they are around £40. Very useful boost pedal.
[/quote]

I'll check them out, thanks

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1448093986' post='2912956']

There is nothing wrong with the electronics in the bass. The pots work perfectly and are 500k pots as are standard on the Peavey Zephyr C4. Please don't misunderstand me, the bass is not deathly quiet, just lower output than my other Zephyr which I have equipped with Seymour Duncan SSB5's. The SD's have increased the output but altered the tone. I'd like to keep the original pickups in the C4 but boost the output a little.
[/quote]
Fair enough, then I'd be looking at the amp. Plugged into the passive input? If you need it full up, something is, IMHO, definitely amiss...