Why become a member? ×

Buying a 5-string bass - MTD, Wyn, Ken Smith, Roscoe, Mattisson... HELP!!!

heady

If you are used to the balance and feel of a Fender then try a Lull. They are made for playing and come in at around 2 grand. I tried Spectors which were superb in so many ways but I could not get on with the strap balance of the bolt-ons; the neck throughs might be different.

Some players like the Dingwalls for the extra B string length. A bit too radical for me at my age but I understand the philosophy and even I found the fan-frets easy to adapt to.

IMHO, and as a generalisation, once you spend much more than £2K you are usually paying for looks which is fine if that is what you want. Of course there are exceptions such as hand-picked tone woods but take a look at some of the builders' price lists and you will see how the price quickly escalates for some cosmetic add-ons.

Bass Direct is well worth a visit as mentioned above. This is not to discount the other dealers mentioned; I have not managed to visit them.

Edited by DBerriff

I have two instruments in that price range and never regretted to have spend that much money :-). The joy of playing a perfectly balanced, beautiful and well sounding (to my choice of tone) instrument cannot be payed. In the end, if you have found a keeper, then it's a keeper. I bought my Wal 25 years ago, followd by a Zon 10 years later. Now I find myself walking out of a stores with a "Mine are better ...." in mind - even at Musikstore or Bass Gallery.

As stated by others ... test, test, test is also my advice. Take your time for an afternoon in Camden, there is a fine choice of instruments covering your tonal ideas. I'd suggest testing:
- MTD Andrew Gouche
- Ken Smith Black Tiger
- Roscoe LG 3005
- Spector (both US and the cheaper builds)
- and maybe a Warwick Thumb (34" though)

The nice thing - these instruments are in store and can be A/B ed - at least according to their web-site.

Have fun!

Tom