Why become a member? ×

£300 to send a bass to Belgium!?!? :O

Grangur

Hi All,
I've got a bass up for sale on Gumtree and I got a mail from someone in Belgium, who wants to buy it. She's disabled and wants to buy it for her son and wants me to ship it.

We agreed the price and then I get a mail from "Gumtree"...

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][font=georgia, serif][size=2]Hello [/size][color=#0000FF][email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email][/color][size=2],[/size][/font]

[font=georgia, serif][size=3][size=3][b]You have received a PayPal payment of £[color=#b45f06]425[/color][/b][/size][/size][b][color=#b45f06][size=3].00[/size][/color][/b][b][color=#b45f06][size=3] GBP[/size][/color][color=#bf5f00][size=3] sent from Michelle Tony[/size][/color][/b][/font][/size][/font]
[b]Transaction ID:[/b]
[b][color=#3d85c6]72W56358RF799193C[/color][/b]

[size=3][font=georgia, serif][b][color=#0B5394]Status[/color][color=#3d85c6] : [/color][/b][b][color=#FF0000]Pending[/color] [/b][color=#3D85C6][size=3] [/size][/color][color=#3D85C6][size=1]98% complete[/size][/color][color=#3D85C6][size=3] [/size][/color][/font][font=georgia, serif][color=#0b5394][font=georgia, serif][b][color=#CC6600][b][color=#009900][b][color=#333333][font=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][b][color=#009900][color=#FF0000][font=georgia, serif] Courier[/font][/color][font=georgia, serif][color=#FF0000] Company Awaiting Payment.[/color][/font][/color][/b][/size][/font][/color][/b][/color][/b][/color][/b][/font][/color][/font][/size]

[size=3] [size=2] [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Description[/font] [/size]
[size=2]Quantity[/size]
[size=2]Unit Price [/size] [size=2]Amount [/size] [color=#222222][size=3][font=georgia, serif] [/font][/size][/color] 1 [font=georgia, serif] £125.00 GBP[/font] [font=georgia, serif] £125.00 GBP[/font] [font=georgia, serif]Goods On Gumtree[/font]

[size=3] [font=georgia, serif]Shipping/handling[/font] [font=georgia, serif]£260.00 GBP[/font] [font=georgia, serif]Money Gram Charges[/font] [font=georgia, serif]£40.00 GBP[/font] [font=georgia, serif]Total[/font] [font=georgia, serif]£425.00 GBP[/font] [font=georgia, serif][u]Note from buyer[/u]
Payment has been completed. Email me once
you receive the payment notification from PayPal. [/font] [/size][/size]

[size=2][font=georgia, serif][color=#0b5394][b]PayPal Policy[/b][/color][/font][/size]

[size=2][font=georgia, serif][color=#000000]The total sum of [/color][color=#0b5394][b]£425.00[/b][/color][color=#0b5394][b] GBP[/b][/color][color=#000000] has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "[/color][b][color=#990000]APPROVED[/color][/b][color=#000000]" but it will not be credited into your account[/color][/font][/size]
[right][size=2][font=georgia, serif][color=#000000](for security purpose) until [/color][/font][/size][/right]
[right][size=2][font=georgia, serif][color=#000000]you send the requested sum[/color][/font][/size][/right]
[right][size=2][font=georgia, serif][color=#000000]of [/color][/font][/size][/right]
[size=2][font=georgia, serif][b][color=#0b5394]£260.00 GBP[/color][/b][/font][/size]
[right][size=2][font=georgia, serif][color=#000000]for the [color=#FF0000]PICK UP FEE[/color] via [color=#0B5394][b]Money Gram[/b][/color] Transfer.[/color][/font][/size][/right]

[size=2][font=georgia, serif][b][color=#0b5394] See below for the information on how to send the funds via Money Gram.[/color][/b][/font][/size]
[size=3][color=#3D85C6][size=1] [font=georgia, serif] [/font][/size][/color][font=georgia, serif][size=4][color=#6fa8dc]Information On How To Complete Your Transaction[/color][/size][/font][/size]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][font=georgia, serif][size=3] [/size][size=3]As mentioned in the payment receipt and as per the new [b][color=#0b5394]PayPal[/color][/b] payment policy, we have fully deducted the total sum of [/size][color=#0b5394][b]£425.00 GBP[/b][/color] from [size=3]the buyer's account and it cannot be refunded to her due to the terms and conditions for this transaction. Your money is safe and secure with us but it has been put on [/size][size=3][color=#ff0000][b]HOLD[/b][/color][/size][size=3] for security purpose and will not be credited into your account until we receive the [color=#FF0000]PICK UP FEE[/color] from you.[/size][/font][/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=3][font=georgia, serif] [b][size=4][color=#6fa8dc]What do I need to do?[/color][/size][/b][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=georgia, serif] Kindly go to the nearest Money Gram shop/your Local Post office with cash and ask for the [color=#0b5394][b]Money Gram[/b][/color] section, fill in the transfer form with the appropriate details.[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=georgia, serif][size=3] Send the sum of [/size][b][color=#0b5394][size=3]£260.00 GBP[/size][/color][/b][size=3][color=#000000](cash) [/color]to the details below:[/size][/font]

[size=3][font=verdana, sans-serif][font=georgia, serif]Courier Company[/font] :[/font][font=verdana, sans-serif] [/font][color=#FF0000][font=georgia, serif]" [b]Auto shipper Intl[/b]" [/font][/color][/size][/size]

[size=3][size=3][size=3][font=georgia, serif][color=#0000ff]Name: Robert[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=georgia, serif][color=#0000ff]Surname: Martens[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=georgia, serif][color=#0000ff]Address: Lange lozanastraat 12[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=georgia, serif][color=#0000ff]City: Antwerpen[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=georgia, serif][color=#0000ff]Zip Code: 2018[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=georgia, serif][color=#0000ff]Country: Belgium[/color][/font][/size][/size][/size]

[size=3][font=georgia, serif] A [b][color=#0b5394]Reference Number[/color][/b] would be given to you by [color=#0B5394][b]Money Gram[/b][/color]. Kindly send the below information to us as soon as you have completed the [b][color=#0B5394]Money Gram[/color][/b] transfer so that we can credit your account instantly:[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=georgia, serif] [/font][/size][/size][/font]
So now, before I get my money I'm supposed to send £260 of my hard-earned as a "collection fee" !!

Has anyone ever come across this kind of [s]scam[/s] situation before? I could TAKE it there for that, and get a good day out in the process!

Edited by Grangur

I have come across the type of scam several times, although not specifically that one. Not sure why anyone is supposed to believe that paypal would require a payment via a rival payment service to get money, but I assume some people must fall for it occasionally.

Doing a search on the web, it appears it is the current common one on gumtree

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1448307540' post='2914358']
I have come across the type of scam several times, although not specifically that one. Not sure why anyone is supposed to believe that paypal would require a payment via a rival payment service to get money, but I assume some people must fall for it occasionally.

Doing a search on the web, it appears it is the current common one on gumtree
[/quote]
I must be getting really slow in my old age. I'd not noticed that one. :)