Why become a member? ×

Do 'Jam' sessions exist any more ?

jonnythenotes

Seriously folks, I would love to know if Jam sessions where people 'Jam' still exist. I know of a few local Jam, or Open Mic nights near Lichfield, but I feel like I have jumped in the Tardis, and landed In Grounhog Days'ville. Do any of you Basschatters know of any sessions near Lichfield (. 25 mile radius. Derby, B'ham, Burton, Cov etc ) where creating music on the spot, with people you may have never met before are up and running. The best two I was aware of, were The Clarendon, in Leamington, and The Funk Realm in Birmingham, which were once a month, but I think both have bitten the dust now... My idea of a good jam night is not recognising any, (or hardly any) of the songs. I am totally aware of how brilliant jams are to beginners, part timers, and people who don't want to be in a band, but that has nothing to do with my question, so don't burn me at the stake.... All I want are a couple of names, dates, venues, or maybe even a web site or two where you can turn up and hopefully knock out a few tunes.

The term "Jam session" these days unfortunately seems to equate to a guitarist wanting to widdle away for 20 minutes whilst the bass player plays A, D & E and the drummer (when he finally gets too bored to carry on) attempts to try out all those little fills he's been working on.

We have several proper Jam Sessions around here every week. Certainly not all 12-bar or blues based. It's a case of attending regularly, getting to know other musos strengths, weaknesses and what songs they know, and bringing something to the party.

Where I live they have these open mics, nit jam session. First of all unless you play lead guitar, sing or play harmonica, you will not get a chance to play. So these Open Mics are not open at all. I will not go to open mics.

Back in my day we had jam sessions . They were usually in someones home where the locals would jam until the wee hours of the morning and everyone would have a chance to play.

Blue

I don't want to come over as offensive or difficult, but if the thing you want isn't available locally, start your own.

There wasn't a local Bass Bash to me so I organised it and our third one is going to be next year. I also wanted a jam night and I'm in discussions with the local as to when they want to host it and we should be starting in the new year.

I'm not sure where all this community and social organisation has come from mind, I'm normally an insular and asocial person! I must be getting old...