Why become a member? ×

I must be getting old...

rungles

Just recently I've changed by whole sound. I was always into the totally clean scooped mids thing which I thought was the only way. I couldn't have been any more wrong!

I've boosted my mids and added a little dash of dirt which has made such a difference. I play in a three-piece funk band that always sounded good, but didn't sound fantastic - until now. I didn't realise how much of a gap there was in our sound. The audiences have noticed too and we now get complimented on our sound as well as our playing.

Has anyone else had a similar ephiphany?

Scott.

Sort of.. I was for a long time chasing an ultra low reggae type tone and then later something ultra clean and quite bright that sounded great solo'd but not always that good in the mix.
Then I started using a bit more drive firstly with Catlinbread SVT and now with the Darkglass VMT.. just a little break up and more harmonics cut nicely in our 3 piece.

A little goes a long way :)

Yup. After years of being a P and occasionally P/J man, I've just discovered the neck pickup on a J. I had it my head that the reason for a J was the bridge-pickup-tone-rolled-off sound, but recently I read (probably here) that player X usually used the neck pickup when he played a J, so I gave it a go with tone tone wide open: lovely!

Fender Flats.

Been a D'addario Nickels player for years - tried the odd sets of other strings, even some flats, but never gelled.

Stuck a of these on earlier in the year, and it was amazing. Just added power to my tone, and everything felt more playable. Whereas our my mids were too biting and brash, the strings kind of smoothed out my sound. Still ballsy and quite edgy, but with an added dollop of vanilla! :D

Lots of highs and adding gain. For years I`ve preferred a warm rounded tone, but in my curent band I need that gnarly twang, so setting up an SVT type sound, with gain, scooped mids but added highs really was unexpected for me. But it`s tools for the job, got to have the right sound. It`s been fun and has changed my playing style, again due to the needs of the band more than anything. Just goes to show we`re none of us past the point of learning something, or simply making a chnage we already knew about for the sake of our bands.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='rungles' timestamp='1450712042' post='2935090']
You won't regret it Mike. Great price too.
[/quote]

Well I've now too discovered the joys of a little bit of overdrive. Didn't get a Soul Food in the end, as I did a trade for an MXR 80 DI+, which also gives me a great standby if the Carvin ever lets me down. I've been amazed how nicely this works in the mix, as I'd always been pretty much into clean bass all the way. So thanks for sharing your discovery, here's another convert!!