Why become a member? ×

DELUXE Fender meaning

Twincam

Yeah, usually they'll have an active circuit or USA pickups - depends on the model.

Mexican deluxe series are usually Mexican standards with US noiseless pickups and active circuits.

USA deluxe Are normally souped up With pickups, switching and hardware changes - the current ones look like modified 70's Fenders, previously they were modern interpretations.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1451335774' post='2939707']
Yeah, usually they'll have an active circuit or USA pickups - depends on the model.

Mexican deluxe series are usually Mexican standards with US noiseless pickups and active circuits.

USA deluxe Are normally souped up With pickups, switching and hardware changes - the current ones look like modified 70's Fenders, previously they were modern interpretations.
[/quote]

What if it's an older passive model? Will it still have the better pick ups and hardware? Somewhere I've read they had the pick of the wood that came in. Anyone know for sure?

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1451337044' post='2939717']
What if it's an older passive model? Will it still have the better pick ups and hardware? Somewhere I've read they had the pick of the wood that came in. Anyone know for sure?
[/quote]

Yup, pick of the wood in the Ensenada plant.
If the one you are looking at is one of the 1999/2001 passive P/J's with jazz profile neck, they are fabulous basses ime. Very well made, great components, easy to set up.
I recently missed out on a fabulous 1999 white/maple/glodscratchplate one and was gutted.
My main gigging bass is a 2014 Sea Foam Pearl Factory Special Run, based on exactly that model.

The original passive P/J deluxe precision was a follow on from the California series of the late 1990's, no idea what the pickups were.

Think the rumour was they were Mexican bodies and necks put together in California so could have 'made in USA' on the headstock.

The Mexican deluxe P/J passive was the same but without the shipping to USA bit.

The 'pick of the wood' stuff was as far as I'm aware a commonly used sales pitch, an 'added value' pretence.

Put it this way - I worked for a fender dealer for 12 years and the "experienced rep" told us the "badger telecaster" (Baja telecaster) was made from BADGER WOOD and not named after the Baja peninsula...the limited 'Paulo Escrito' telecaster was named after a Fender Mexico artist - not a type of exotic wood.

Fender reps will flog ice to the Inuit...so this 'special wood' comes in on pallets and they separated it out? Unlikely. It's graded at the saw mill and sold to fender by the bucket load.

That's why I have a Nate Mendel at 7.3lbs and a flamed maple neck to die for, and my friend had one at 11lbs and plain maple neck...

If it's a nice bass buy it, if it's not...don't.

If it's candy apple red with a maple board - send it in my direction 😂

Andy, Fender stated back in the day that the California Series were US hardware put together in Mexico.
They also stated the "new Precision Special Deluxe Series" had the pick of the woods coming in to Ensenada.

Or they did when they advertised them in Bassist and Bass Guitars (remember that :) ?)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1451338972' post='2939740']
Andy, Fender stated back in the day that the California Series were US hardware put together in Mexico.
They also stated the "new Precision Special Deluxe Series" had the pick of the woods coming in to Ensenada.

Or they did when they advertised them in Bassist and Bass Guitars (remember that :) ?)
[/quote]

Yeah Karl, remember it well - certain 1997 was when I started buying it and one of the p/j's in White was reviewed...(I knew it was bodies from one place to another 😂)

I'd take the hand selected woods spiel for the custom shop stuff, but having seen the pallets of wood in the factory - I'm not sure the 'pick of the wood' extends past picking the billets off the top of the pile.

Not a bad thing though, if it's graded alder or ash, it's better than other factories.

The Mexican fenders are usually 2-5 piece bodies and the sunburst ones are veneered top and back to disguise the joins.

Again, no bad thing - built to a price point etc.

I'm inclined to go with the sales pitch being a load of bull, so you do indeed have to go see the
thing yourself.

I'm not sure what the N3 noiseless pickups and the pre-amps in the American deluxe are like..
not sure if they are anything special...
and if it is put together badly, it will be a waste anyway.

I think those sort of parts can be replaced anyway... but you really need
the wood and construction to be a cut above..
Otherwise what is the perceived value in a name or model line..

Are Am deluxes, CS or Masterbuilt any good..?

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1451339708' post='2939744']

Yeah Karl, remember it well - certain 1997 was when I started buying it and one of the p/j's in White was reviewed...(I knew it was bodies from one place to another 😂)

I'd take the hand selected woods spiel for the custom shop stuff, but having seen the pallets of wood in the factory - I'm not sure the 'pick of the wood' extends past picking the billets off the top of the pile.

Not a bad thing though, if it's graded alder or ash, it's better than other factories.

The Mexican fenders are usually 2-5 piece bodies and the sunburst ones are veneered top and back to disguise the joins.

Again, no bad thing - built to a price point etc.
[/quote]

The Fender rep we had told us that "there's no wood wastage in the Mexican factory, so if they have to make a bass out of 8 bits of wood or 78 bits of wood, they'll do it. Just as long as they don't throw any away!'

The sales pitch of 'two/three piece on US standards and 2 piece on AV upwards' is there because it's fact. 'Pick of the woods in Mexico' is sales talk to make it sound better than 'we have loads of wood and don't throw anything away so some stuff is made from bigger chunks, which is better than 100+ scraps glued together and cut' IMO. Like you said Andy, take those statements which aren't an obvious fact/are hard to see clearly with your own eyes with a pinch of salt!!

The term 'butchers block' was bandied about.

But if it sounds good, what does it matter.

The American and AV stuff is 2-3 piece.

And I've seen plenty of fenders turn up smashed to bits to have a nosey.

I've also seen the difference in the guts of Epiphone and Gibson - there's a Gibson employee who walks around with half a les Paul from each factory in a case...legend.

Try the bass - if it's good, go for it.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1451340388' post='2939750']
The term 'butchers block' was bandied about.

But if it sounds good, what does it matter.

The American and AV stuff is 2-3 piece.

And I've seen plenty of fenders turn up smashed to bits to have a nosey.

I've also seen the difference in the guts of Epiphone and Gibson - there's a Gibson employee who walks around with half a les Paul from each factory in a case...legend.

Try the bass - if it's good, go for it.
[/quote]

I agree on the 'if it plays well who cares' thing but I'm not the kind of person who buys an instrument based on 'better woods' sales pitch!

We always go told that the AV was two piece as they side-seam them so they look like one piece bodies... Thinking about it, that might just be on 'burst finishes though and 3 piece on solid finishes!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1451340766' post='2939753']

I agree on the 'if it plays well who cares' thing but I'm not the kind of person who buys an instrument based on 'better woods' sales pitch!

We always go told that the AV was two piece as they side-seam them so they look like one piece bodies... Thinking about it, that might just be on 'burst finishes though and 3 piece on solid finishes!
[/quote]

2 for AV seems reasonable.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1451338470' post='2939732']

Yup, pick of the wood in the Ensenada plant.
If the one you are looking at is one of the 1999/2001 passive P/J's with jazz profile neck, they are fabulous basses ime. Very well made, great components, easy to set up.
I recently missed out on a fabulous 1999 white/maple/glodscratchplate one and was gutted.
My main gigging bass is a 2014 Sea Foam Pearl Factory Special Run, based on exactly that model.
[/quote]

I have a 2001 model sunburst, gold metal scratch plate. Lovely bass.
The bridge is a multi threaded screw type was that standard?. The tuners and pickups seem a little better than standard mex models of the time too, I could be mistaken.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1451402408' post='2940186']
I have a 2001 model sunburst, gold metal scratch plate. Lovely bass.
The bridge is a multi threaded screw type was that standard?. The tuners and pickups seem a little better than standard mex models of the time too, I could be mistaken.
[/quote]

Yup, that bridge is standard, American Vintage bridge I think they were called at the time.
If you are ever daft enough to sell it, currently ask no less than £400. And somebody will get a superb gigging instrument.