Why become a member? ×

Fretless Rickenbacker

steviedee

Anyone ever tried a fretless Ric? Be keen to hear opinions. I realise they are rare so It's unlikely I'll pick one up anytime soon but I'm on the look out. I have fretless Jazz and a Stingray, the Musicman in particular is a great bass, to be honest, I'm after the Ric simple because I like the look!

Edited by steviedee

I used to own a 4003FL and they're lovely - the varnished rosewood board feels similar to an epoxied one, and dialling in a "Macca thump" type tone on the neck pickup sounds even thicker and woodier on fretless. Massive sustain. Only potential downside I suppose could be that many don't find the slab body comfy for finger style, but I've never found that an issue with Rics

Chris (Beedster) will be along in a minute to comment I'm sure as he's also keen on these (it was his I used to own, only traded it back to get my mitts on his '65 P...... :)

I've tried pretty much every passive fretless out there, personal favourite is definitely my '77 Ovation Magnum 1

I tried one - a mate's shop had a load of them which they were re-fretting for customers (?). Unfortunately I had a hideous experience with it as I'd not had much experience with the fretless way, and as it was a Rick I found myself dialling in a Geddy Lee clank and playing with my usual ham-fisted approach. It did not make a pleasant sound.
However I'm sure with a different approach it would make a superb bass - there's no reason why it shouldn't.

Thanks guys info much appreciated, I have the added problem of needing a lined fretless. Potentially look at having a fretted bass defretted, tho I'm never sure how well that works out. The 4003s has no binding so it might be less problematic to defret.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1451560355' post='2941496']
I've never tried one (or even seen one) but I remember the bass player in one of Dave Brubeck's bands had one and made it sound very good... if that helps. (Which it probably doesn't.)
[/quote]

Found this which may help... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhLqb1YFlyM