Why become a member? ×

NCD: TKS S112 (x2) - edit: actually x4!

mcnach

My new cabs arrived!

A pair of blue TKS S112... no tweeter. I've only managed to have a quick and not very loud test at home... and they look promising. Hopefully this weekend I'll have a proper go.

They have noticeably less low end than the 1126, but this is not a bad thing necessarily. In fact, for me they sound more they way I like. I tried one as an extension to my little MarkBass CMD121P combo and it didn't sound as good as using the same head into the two S112. So my trusty mini combo might go in the end too. I'm trying to rationalise my gear and have a simple 'small' rig that I can use for most gigs I play, and something bigger for the few times I need more 'oomph', so I'm thinking that the S112s can replace the combo and the pair of 1126 easily. If they sound, once I try them loud, the way I think they'll sound... There is something on the low midrange that makes me think it's going to be really easy to get them to sound good within the band: I like a punchy bass, not with too much low end but powerful, and to me that's the low midrange doing it. There are many ways to achieve that, but if you start with an amp/cab that are friendly with that territory it makes life a lot easier. The Streamliner 900 sounded pretty good... in fact, everything I tried was encouraging: Stingray/L2000/Precision and Streamliner/Shuttle/LM3

Still early days, as I need to see how they behave at volume and with the band... but I think I made the right choice here. I should have bought these rather than the 1126 last year.

So, the obligatory pictures...

They were supposed to arrive yesterday but the courier screwed up somewhere and didn't knock at my door: they said there was nobody in and left a card, but no card was left and I was in all day... So Vic from BassGear gave me the consignment number and asked the courier to not attempt redelivery and I picked them up myself today at the depot. When the guy shows up with the trolley and the two boxes, we pick one each and walk to the car. My first impression was "hmmm, light! I like this!" :) He agreed ;)
I put them on my back seat and drove away.

When I got home I noticed one of the boxes had some impact damage :unsure:

But fortunately, the cab was undamaged and only the outer layer of the box was affected. So I took them out of their boxes:

They are as tall (vertically oriented) as the 1126 cabs, but narrower. Which means they are not forming a very tall stack, but it's a reasonable height... and did I mention how light and manageable they are? I don't expect them to be the loudest wall-shaking cabs ever, but then I don't need that. If they're loud enough and I can get something close to the tone they're promising in my quick test... they'll be just fine.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1452719171' post='2952922']
Ooh, nice colour! Does this mean you'll need a blue bass and some blue shoes to complete the set? I'll be interested to hear how you get on with them.
[/quote]

Ha ha! No, bass and shoes stay red ;)

When will you build yours? It would be fun to check them out side by side.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1452720271' post='2952929']
hmmm another good review for these... I would have tended towards the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1126 if I were buying but the s112 get so much love! [/font][/color]
[/quote]

well, don't take my comments as a review, yet. I have literally played through them for about 45 minutes at home, at a mostly-neighbour-friendly volume. So it's early days. But the first impression is good.

The 1126 is very nice too... Last year I was between the S112, the 1126 and the H115 I think it was. After reading reviews and chatting to both Tommy at TKS and Barrie at BassGear, I went with the 1126 (which was what I was leaning towards the most). They have a very big sound. Hard to describe, especially when you know, it's a speaker, you can twiddle knobs in your amp and make it sound in a million different ways... But there's a certain character there that makes it sound pleasant yet the S112 seem much more the kind of sound I'm after, especially when it comes to the low midrange and the 'non-obtrusive' lows... we'll see!

I just don't like the handles that much ;) but everything else is very nice.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1452721393' post='2952944']
Lovely!

Don't worry about them having noticeably less lows than the 1126. What they do have is shedloads of natural, useful lows. And if you turn the bass knob up on your amp, they'll cope.

Enjoy 'em!
[/quote]

I'm not worried about having less lows... for my taste the 1126s have if anything too much of them! :)

I'm only a little worried about my amps being rated higher than the speakers, and what could happen if I end up boosting the bottom end. I'd like to think I could hear if I'm pushing the speakers too much for comfort, and I doubt I'd boost much or play that loud judging from my needs so far... but it does make me a little nervous, especially as occasionally I do let others use my gear. On the other hand, the 900W rating (at 8ohm) of the Streamliner is probably a bit of an exaggeration too...

I will get a chance of a decent test within the next few days and see how they behave with regards to volume and tone at volume. Can't wait. :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1452731530' post='2953043']

Ha ha! No, bass and shoes stay red ;)

When will you build yours? It would be fun to check them out side by side.
[/quote]

I'll hopefully have one of the DIY cabs at a rough n' ready testing stage over the next week or so, and the pair of them properly finished another couple of weeks after that. I'm aiming to use one or two at a gig in mid-February. They'll also be blue, though a slightly darker shade, with a sparkly cloth grille.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1452766282' post='2953176']
I'll hopefully have one of the DIY cabs at a rough n' ready testing stage over the next week or so, and the pair of them properly finished another couple of weeks after that. I'm aiming to use one or two at a gig in mid-February. They'll also be blue, though a slightly darker shade, with a sparkly cloth grille.
[/quote]

Oooh, sound lovely! Blue tuffcab finish?

Well, let me know when you're ready and we'll get together. :)

I run 2 with an 800w amp.

Of course you have to be sensible but my bass on the dial is about 10.... and I run clean so I can hear them working or over working.
The secret to these cabs is that they have such a nice mid ...not harsh at all.
The go as low as they need to IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1452791408' post='2953567']
I run 2 with an 800w amp.

Of course you have to be sensible but my bass on the dial is about 10.... and I run clean so I can hear them working or over working.
The secret to these cabs is that they have such a nice mid ...not harsh at all.
The go as low as they need to IMO.
[/quote]

Thank you. I also use a clean to pretty-much-clean and I think I'd be able to hear normally when the speakers are pushed too hard... but it's reassuring to hear that anyway.

Not the same cabs, but I'm running two 350w 112s (Bergs) with a Streamliner 900, and I have the Bass at about 9 o'clock on the dial - partly for the sound, but also because, like you, I'm just a little wary still of cranking too many deep lows through them. I'm sure I'm worrying unnecessarily, I just need to do a few more gigs with them to relax... The Streamliner has a High Pass Filter, too, so the ultra-lows get, erm, filtered out, but even so, I fret a bit. I do hit the thing quite hard sometimes, I'm a pretty dynamic* mostly-pick player...

* AKA 'Ham-fisted, gets carried away'... :D

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1452796597' post='2953635']
Not the same cabs, but I'm running two 350w 112s (Bergs) with a Streamliner 900, and I have the Bass at about 9 o'clock on the dial - partly for the sound, but also because, like you, I'm just a little wary still of cranking too many deep lows through them. I'm sure I'm worrying unnecessarily, I just need to do a few more gigs with them to relax... The Streamliner has a High Pass Filter, too, so the ultra-lows get, erm, filtered out, but even so, I fret a bit. I do hit the thing quite hard sometimes, I'm a pretty dynamic* mostly-pick player...

* AKA 'Ham-fisted, gets carried away'... :D
[/quote]

:lol:

Well come on Jose, gigged yet????

I'm on an enforced gig hiatus (work travel/meetings) until next weekend so mine haven't been tried in anger yet.
Home trial (which I'm never a fan of) has immediately revealed great, punchy cabs, just how I like them :D .

LOVIN that Blue :D.

Thinking of getting my grills powder coated with a big white stripe down the middle, (Toon colours).

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1453025027' post='2955527']
Well come on Jose, gigged yet????

I'm on an enforced gig hiatus (work travel/meetings) until next weekend so mine haven't been tried in anger yet.
Home trial (which I'm never a fan of) has immediately revealed great, punchy cabs, just how I like them :D .

LOVIN that Blue :D.

Thinking of getting my grills powder coated with a big white stripe down the middle, (Toon colours).
[/quote]

Not gigged them yet, not even rehearsed with the band :angry:
I was supposed to get a rehearsal plus gig this week, but we had to cancel last minute due to illness :mellow:
And we have 3 weeks of silence because of a band member's holidays now. But at least I will get a rehearsal of sorts on Wednesday, so they'll be coming out.
I had someone coming on Friday to check a bass I was selling (my G&L L2000) and with neighbours away we pushed the volume up a bit ;) It felt very good, but still far from being a very informative test... So frustrating! I want to give them some proper use already! :lol:

Let us know what you think about them once you use them in 'real life'!