Why become a member? ×

Newish band I thought were gonna be good - but disappoint IMHO ...

TBH , I don't really know what the title of this post should be . Anyhow: I saw a band mentioned in the metro (Toy), about a year or so ago.
I checked out of few vids on you pube , and I thought they had promise. A touch of prog and psychedelia here and there ( nothing original ) ,but I thought they
had potential.
However, I'm just listening to one of their albums on Spotify and I'm disappointed. Let's just say that, if I paid for the cd ( I still buy some ), I wouldn't have been happy.

What's the main problem ? The vocals ! The guy sounds like he's gonna top himself because he can't find his winning lottery card . Or maybe the girlfriends found a sugar daddy . My god , he makes morrissey sound cheerful .
I'm too old to see them anyway ;)
Got me thinking ; has anyone been disappointed in a band in a similar situation ?
I'm just going to change albums ...

Interpol. Someone described them to me as being heavily influenced by Joy Division and the darker edged indie guitar stuff of the 80s such as The Chameleons and The Sound. I discovered that "being influenced by" should have been qualified by "but can't write a song for sh*t" when I bought their back catalogue on CD :-(

I saw a band live called the Jubilee Allstars and really enjoyed them. I picked up their album the next day and it was utter sh*te, every song starting the same way and no energy or soul at all. It really was the same band so I'm guessing I caught them on an off night when they were actually useful.