Why become a member? ×

Overdrive or not in my new band

Guinness21

Just joined a new band, I was looking at a couple of drive pedals but decided to hold back for a bit while I get to know the band's sound better. Here's what they sound like - https://soundcloud.com/silver-story. 90% of the time the bass is playing the exact same as the guitars (a lead player created and played the bass lines).

I know overdrive can be used in different ways within bands - like a heavy overdrive on bass in a 3 piece band to thicken the sound, or an aggressive/grindy drive to poke through distorted guitars. Do you think I should be using drive in this band? I play a stingray which cuts through very clear at the minute.

I'd say you wouldn't need an overdrive per se, but the classic slightly overdriven Ampeg tone would slot in very well here. Not obviously distorted, but just a bit of extra growl and fatness. So if you're not getting that from your amp already I'd maybe look into a new amp or a preamp pedal like the VT Bass or Le Bass or something. Then a mild OD or simple boost pedal just to kick things up a notch when required... and maybe a RAT-ish pedal for when you want very prominent distortion for the occasional track that has a stand-out-front bassline (don't be afraid to rewrite some of those basslines either!).

Just had Soundcloud playing as I wrote that. Some overdriven bass with a few growly slides thrown in would work very well in I'm Not a Hero in the intro where the screams alternate with the delayed guitar!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1457001350' post='2994310']
I'd say you wouldn't need an overdrive per se, but the classic slightly overdriven Ampeg tone would slot in very well here. Not obviously distorted, but just a bit of extra growl and fatness. So if you're not getting that from your amp already I'd maybe look into a new amp or a preamp pedal like the VT Bass or Le Bass or something. Then a mild OD or simple boost pedal just to kick things up a notch when required... and maybe a RAT-ish pedal for when you want very prominent distortion for the occasional track that has a stand-out-front bassline (don't be afraid to rewrite some of those basslines either!).

Just had Soundcloud playing as I wrote that. Some overdriven bass with a few growly slides thrown in would work very well in I'm Not a Hero in the intro where the screams alternate with the delayed guitar!
[/quote]

Thanks man! Tbh I was thinking always-on light drive, at some point I'll get the b7k, vmtd and vt di from thomann and send back the ones I don't want. Might buy a vulcan xl too, if I don't like it don't think it would be difficult to move on.

I will be rewriting some of the bass lines at some point, just we've got gigs at the beginning of April so I'm on a crash course learning the material haha

Just listening on soundcloud. It sounds like there's some overdrive on the bass in the heavier sections, and it works really well. The Darkglass is certainly flavour of the month but it is what almost everyone is using at the moment. Any sort of sansamp dealie would be OK, but I think you're looking for a pedal to turn on and off, rather than an "always on" as there are some cleaner sections.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1457007006' post='2994373']
Just listening on soundcloud. It sounds like there's some overdrive on the bass in the heavier sections, and it works really well. The Darkglass is certainly flavour of the month but it is what almost everyone is using at the moment. Any sort of sansamp dealie would be OK, but I think you're looking for a pedal to turn on and off, rather than an "always on" as there are some cleaner sections.
[/quote]

Fair point that about not just leaving something on, thanks.

I`d look at some form of drive pedal where if you dig in you get the drive, but backing off it cleans up - essentially as Danny said, that classic slightly overdriven Ampeg sound. Ampeg SCR does that very well, as does Tech21 VT DI, or the classic Sansamp.

But whatever you choose, well done on getting in that band, really good songs, good move there methinks.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1457029389' post='2994671']
I`d look at some form of drive pedal where if you dig in you get the drive, but backing off it cleans up - essentially as Danny said, that classic slightly overdriven Ampeg sound. Ampeg SCR does that very well, as does Tech21 VT DI, or the classic Sansamp.

But whatever you choose, well done on getting in that band, really good songs, good move there methinks.
[/quote]

Thanks man!