[*]Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
[*]Pickup Configuration: Split Single-Coil
[*]Bridge: 4-Saddle Standard
[*]Hardware Finish: Chrome
[*]Tuning Machines: Standard Open-Gear
[*]Pickguard: 3-Ply Black
[*]Control Knobs: Dome Style
[/list]
I've been on the lookout for a Precision style bass since joining my new band recently. There's nothing wrong with my V7 jazz, but I wanted that P bass tone for the sort of music we play and, in part, the look...and also the fact I wanted something that could take a few knocks as I've become quite precious about the V7, despite it not being an expensive bass.
I found this Squier VM on Nevada Music's website in the second hand section. Having dutifully looked elsewhere and noticed that prices for all Squiers seem to have gone up quite a bit the £150 inc delivery and 3 month warranty seemed a good deal, so I took the plunge. Nevada's second hand section says all instruments receive a service and set up. Not a complaint, but whoever it was set up for must have had archery as their second interest. I've adjusted the set up to something much more playable and given the pots a squirt of servisol as they were a little scratchy. Otherwise, Nevada Music packed it well and it arrived in very good time. Apart from the screw holes for pickup and bridge covers that must have been on the bass and a small amount of greasy palm marks on the neck, it's nigh on spotless, it looks as near new as possible really. No dings or scratches at all.

I didn't expect to like this bass. I wasn't overly taken with the colour and I fully expected to flip it. However, it's a bit of a cracker. Having got the set up decent I've played it constantly for the last week or so and to both band practices we've had recently. I don't have a problem with nut widths it's the thickness that does for me and this bass is fine. It's has a 41.3mm nut but the neck is quite shallow back to front and I find it very comfortable to play. I would have preferred a lacquered rather than satin finish but that's a minor thing. A bone nut would have been nice :)

What does it sound like? It sounds like a p bass, it thumps and sounds great with my new band (we play indie punk rock originals). The Seymour designed pickups are quite powerful and loud. It just sounds like it's supposed to, so no complaints there.

When I 'squirted' the pots I was pleased to see how neat the control cavity was and that it was all properly grounded.

All in all it's a very nice bass. HOWEVER, brand new this would have cost about the same as a Sire Marcus Miller V7. So how does it compare in that way? Apart from the set up I also sanded the back of the neck on the Squier. Where the skunk strip was inlaid you could clearly feel a ridge where it met the maple. The Sire blows it out of the water quite frankly. Second hand the Squier is good value for a bass that I'll use for gigging as it can take a few knocks but in terms of overall finish, quality and sound the Sire easily takes first prize. I still like the Squier though :)

[attachment=214213:IMG_0036.jpg]

[attachment=214214:IMG_0038.jpg]

[attachment=214215:IMG_0045.jpg]

Edited by Marvin