Why become a member? ×

Barefaced - choices, choices....

intime-nick

does anyone have any real world comparisons between playing a Barefaced Big Twin 2 and a Big Baby 2 in a loud (twin guitar, loud drummer) rock band ? i.e. is a single BB2 capable of enough volume, does it need to be raised / angled up if it sits on the floor so you can hear it etc etc ?

i ask because i'm going to replace my Eden 2x10 wedge cab with one of these cabs (mainly because the Eden weighs the same as a small planet and has the most un-ergonomic single carry handle design i've ever seen)

will be used with no PA support 99% of the time. I've had BF cabs in the past (2x Gen2 Compacts) and really liked them but need something a bit more 'full range' for my current setup.

I've spoken to Alex and he recommended either of these cabs for my setup (600W powered Kemper rack head) but i blooming well can't make my mind up. Even though it's the powered version I may also add my Crown XLS1500 power amp into the setup - mainly because i can and i like the idea of a backup (plus the extra headroom it gives me). The BT2 would work better with that setup and is wide enough to take the rack (yes I am vain like that and don't like the rack overhanging but it's not a deal-breaker)

any opinions from users would be greatly received

cheers

As you're upgrading from a 210 the BB2 will be much louder, bigger sound, clearer and have better tone. The BB2 is "similar" to many 212's so it will easily cover a 210's performance. You'll get more volume from a BB2 and you'll get more definition and clarity. When people say it's like having a blanket taken away from in front of your cab. . . . it's true.

I like modular rigs. I've 2 Super Compacts. I can use 1 or 2 depending on the gig. I'd get the BB2 and start saving for the second one.

Your safety net is that Alex knows exactly what he is recommending (so you really can believe him) and you get a 1 month return policy with every cab.

I`ve no experience of either, but given the part about the power amp and the BT2 being wide enough, I`d go for that one. My Super 12T is approx. the same size as the BT2 and it`s not a problem carting it about at all. I`d prefer to have the two speakers of the BT2 as well. More speakers = a fuller sound, and although a BB2 will no doubt be loud enough the BT2 having twice as many speakers should just be fuller. Helpful against 2 gtrs and drums.

No direct comparisons, but I had a BB2 for a fairly short while, and it's just bizarre how much such of everything a small box can produce. I played an RAF hangar with just it - I declined the PA, just to see - and it was plenty loud with my Streamliner 900. I did feel it was playing at my shins, though - I should have used the angle stand I used to use with my Schroeder, but I'd forgotten to bring it. I paired it with my Gen1 Compact, and that was nice. It's definitely full range - I'm not a fan of horns, which was one reason I moved it on, but if that's your thing you'll not find one wanting. I had it switched off... :D

It might look a bit silly under a full rack, tho... :)

FWIW, the only thing I'd change my Bergs for is a pair of Super Compacts.

Edited by Muzz

I play in a loud twin guitar rock band and use 2 x Big Baby 2 Gen 3 cabs.

If it's a gig with noise limiters then I can get away with just the one cab and angle it up a bit but for most gigs (medium/large pubs and clubs not using pa support) I use both.

Oh and a 500w ish amp.

So I would either go for the bigger cab or ideally save up for the second BB2 to get a modular system.

Is anyone out there running 2 Super Midgets?

And anyone regularly running a Super Midget with a Super Compact?

Alex lists that as a good pairing on the website. Is anyone doing either of those? If so what is your opinion of that rig?

I had a G1 Compact and two G2 Midgets. All good alone or in any combination.

I now have a G3 Super Midget and a G3 BB2. Either of these cabs are fine for pubs, but the BB2 especially is amazing. They are monstrous together and seem to work really well as a pair. A single BB2 is enough 99% of the time for me. (Two guitars, keys and drums.)

Frank.

[quote name='intime-nick' timestamp='1458064508' post='3004372']
thanks for all the replies - much appreciated. For those with 2x BB2's - do you stack them vertically or horizontally ?
[/quote]

Vertically........