Why become a member? ×

NewNeckDay

project_c

I bought this 90s USA fretless about a year ago, added some CS62 pickups, a black guard and some cream covers, and it sounds and feels great, I've been playing it daily since, but I've always wanted a lined maple neck for it. (Just prefer the feel and tone of maple on a precision - my main bass is a black / maple fretted P).

As Fender don't make lined maple fretless necks, I was trying to figure out how to go about finding one, and then I came across this neck - a 77/78 USA fretless maple neck that the previous owner started to turn into a fretted, and then gave up half-way for whatever reason (possibly because of the location of the side dots). So basically the neck was originally a fretless, but it had lines cut in it already. Perfect - a legit 70s Fender neck, that needs to be restored one way or another.

So I bought it, and took it down to Martin at the Gallery, and he filled the lines and basically restored it to a fretless, but with the addition of lines. So now, the bass looks like this, and the tone is exactly what I was after. It's all a matter of preference, but that maple snap makes a big difference to the way I play - I know others much prefer rosewood on a fretless, I just love a maple neck.

ps - the original rosewood neck will probably be up for sale soon.