Why become a member? ×

Board oiling

keefbaker

Hi guys, I got an ebony board fretless last week and it came with rounds on it. The board is already a little marked, so, as I was planning to put a set of XL Chromes on anyway I'm going to oil the board.

Now, I already have a bottle of fast fret here, so the question is this, as I've never used oil on a board before.

How much do you use?

Is it just a bit on a cloth? A lot? Is there a particular best practice for this?

A very small amount, and use only a couple of times a year.

Fast fret never used to be a fingerboard preparation, it was something you wiped onto the strings when they were on the bass to clean them & make them sqeak less - have they changed it?

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1458816486' post='3011101']
Fast fret never used to be a fingerboard preparation, it was something you wiped onto the strings when they were on the bass to clean them & make them sqeak less - have they changed it?
[/quote]

Probably not, I'm just dumb as a bag of hammers. I should order some lemon oil.

I bought a small bottle of Dr Ducks Ax Wax some time ago, and use it on everything - strings, frets/fretboard, saddles & chrome work, everything.

A little really does go a long way - I reckon this bottle will last longer than me...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1458831503' post='3011333']

...although, for two dabs per year, that's not really too much of an issue, I'd say.
[/quote]

This is very true.
I bought a large bottle as I do setups. But even after nearly a year and many basses the bottle is still at least 90% full. I would definitely go for the boiled linseed oil, but if mineral oil is your thing then buying a bottle from the supermarket will be cheaper rather than buying so called lemon oil although it does smell nice.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1458850984' post='3011628']
i'd echo the boiled linseed oil on ebony (and rosewood) boards. I've never used anything else on my instruments - or anyone else's for that matter.
[/quote]
Me too. Although tried Lemon oil once and it struck me as very similar but thinner and over priced. Came to the conclusion that it's sold in small bottles and priced high in music shops to catch gullible guitar owners.