Why become a member? ×

Why is it. Fender Content.

bubinga5

Depends who you ask but the AV range that included the '75 Jazz is no longer in production. It was replaced by a newer range that instead, features a RI '74 Jazz and some believe the newer AV range aren't as good (therefore, would hunt down a '75 RI?). The '75 RI in natural finish with maple neck and black blocks was the holy grail bass in my local shop when I was younger and every other bass player I knew wanted that bass... That combination doesn't exist in the new AV range at all, so people are bound to hunt the older model down and that'll keep the price high! Good news if you have one in good condition :-)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1458959262' post='3012477']
The price something is listed for and the price it actually sells for are two very different things...

...a number of sellers are overly optimistic.
[/quote]

Definitely, I guess it is down to clever marketing, by producing limited edition basses that sell for high prices, sellers are always going to "big them up" no one is going to spend thousands of pounds on an instrument then try to sell it on a couple of years down the line with an advert that says "crap expensive Ltd edition Fender for sale, grossly overpriced when new, so grossly overpriced used!" Fender maintain a desirable image and the Ltd availability means owners try to keep strong values in their used instruments.

Yeah, the 75 RI is interesting with people putting them out £1100/£1250, even if some of those are the recent FSR which was presumably released to get rid of the last 75 RI's, after the 74's had been released.

Statistically on here, the 75's go for £800/£900, as in actually SELL at those prices.
A natural on FEEBay last week didn't get a bid at it's £850 start price. So he's relisted it at £1000 BIN :blink:

A lovely natural with Rosewood 'board has been up at £950 since late last year. It's on here at £850 and still hasn't sold.
One thing I have noticed in general is that sellers from the EU seem to ask a bit more for their basses than similar basses have gone for.

But as we all know anybody can ask what they like.

Edited by karlfer

My 75RI has a natural ash body with rosewood fretboard. The pearl block markers look superb and I much prefer it to the maple fret board version.

The thing that sets the 75RI apart is the neck. Mine has the best neck of any bass I've owned or played. Much more to my taste than the fatter neck on the 74RI that replaced it. And much nicer even than my 2010 US Standard Jazz. I've owned my 75RI since about 2008 and, although I only gig it at "posh" venues, I'd hate to have to part with it. It's 99% as-new and I try to keep it that way.

To me, they are a bit special so, in a way, I'm not too surprised that they hold their value well.

Maybe not just as well as some sellers hope. :)

Frank.