Why become a member? ×

Cab positioning

Kevin Dean

I did a gig Sat night , & the the sound out front was great apparently after being told to turn up by several people at the sound check . But to be honest I felt I was too loud for our poor drummer ,I could move the cab because of the tight stage . I was wandering if it was worth using both my Barefaced Super compacts , one behind me & the other out front under the vocal PA ?

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1460370381' post='3024977'] I was wandering if it was worth using both my Barefaced Super compacts , one behind me & the other out front under the vocal PA ?
[/quote]That would result in phase cancellation issues. Low frequency sources should seldom be split. The issue here is why a vocal only PA? Your stage rig should drive the stage, the PA should drive the room. That's the only method by which you can get a result that's good for the audience out front while remaining comfortable for the band on stage.

I bet I know what happened here.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1460370381' post='3024977']
I did a gig Sat night , & the the sound out front was great apparently after being told to turn up by several people at the sound check.[/quote]

When people say you need to turn up, you need to ask yourself whether it would be better to turn something else down. It sounds like you had originally set the volume to be harmonious with the drum kit, and ended up turning it up higher to combat... what exactly? Guitarist, perhaps? You see where I'm going with this?

S.P.

I think it's just because The drummer was sat right next to my cab , I was stood right in front of His kick drum & the balance sounded ok to me . The main trouble we had was that we were in a tiny corner of the pub & punters still expected to hear us around a corner & even in another room .

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1460413485' post='3025601']
I think it's just because The drummer was sat right next to my cab , I was stood right in front of His kick drum & the balance sounded ok to me . The main trouble we had was that we were in a tiny corner of the pub & punters still expected to hear us around a corner & even in another room .
[/quote]

Yep, been there. Not necessarily the same pub, mind!

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1460377854' post='3025107']
That would result in phase cancellation issues. Low frequency sources should seldom be split. The issue here is why a vocal only PA? Your stage rig should drive the stage, the PA should drive the room. That's the only method by which you can get a result that's good for the audience out front while remaining comfortable for the band on stage.
[/quote]Bill many of the pubs are small over here and there is little point in putting everyone through FOH. Often there is no "stage" just a corner cleared of tables and chairs. No matter how hard you try, the backline is the frontline.

I don't know any drummer who doesn't like a loud bass, but . . . .

I'd have moved the cab forward so that it was firing just past him.

I regularly have to deal with small stages and my days of just accepting that the guitarist and vocalist have all the room and I have to squash into a shoe box space are long gone. If I need to move everyone around so that everyone gets a good sound then that's what I make them do.

Edited by chris_b