Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had a chance to use the WB-100 in anger. Band practice for a new (ish) band, two guitarists with 2x12s and a hard hitting drummer.

Used my Barefaced Super Twin, and it sounded glorious. I normally add an EQ curve on my HX Effects to tame the mids of the ST but I didn’t need that at all. This amp sounded much better without it, for this band at least.

And I was asked told to turn down twice.

Marvellous 😁

IMG_2718.thumb.jpeg.1d67bd17afb6b01d4d86fa0e2206aeae.jpeg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Merton said:

Finally had a chance to use the WB-100 in anger. Band practice for a new (ish) band, two guitarists with 2x12s and a hard hitting drummer.

Used my Barefaced Super Twin, and it sounded glorious. I normally add an EQ curve on my HX Effects to tame the mids of the ST but I didn’t need that at all. This amp sounded much better without it, for this band at least.

And I was asked told to turn down twice.

Marvellous 😁

IMG_2718.thumb.jpeg.1d67bd17afb6b01d4d86fa0e2206aeae.jpeg

Not surprised you were asked to turn down. With that Gain and Master setting that must have been painful in a rehearsal room. Typically at a Vocal PA only gig i'll balance against drummer volume and that's loud enough in both a punk and Glam band with Gain similar to yours and Master at 11 o'clock. I normally have the bass at 1 tho but mine is the B, M, T    EQ version and might make a little difference.

Glorious amps tho and with a P or even a PJ type bass they are sublime. That Precision pick up just works so well with an all tube amp.

What SVT did you have.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Not surprised you were asked to turn down. With that Gain and Master setting that must have painful in a rehearsal room. Typically at a Vocal PA only gig i'll balance against drummer volume and that's loud enough in both a punk and Glam band with Gain similar to yours and Master at 11 o'clock. I normally have the bass at 1 tho but mine is the B, M, T    EQ version and might make a little difference.

Glorious amps tho and with a P or even a PJ type bass they are sublime. That Precision pick up just works so well with an all tube amp.

What SVT did you have.

Dave

Yeah it was a ridiculously loud evening tbh, the drummer is an even harder hitter than my normal drummist who I thought was LOUD!

Never had an SVT - I just abbreviated Super ST to ST because I’m lazy 😄 With my TE-1200 I found I wanted to give it a slight EQ curve from the HX Effects to make it sound more like my Two10 cab, which works very very well with the Trace head. TBH the Handbox does too, and for my other musical projects I suspect I won’t need the ST but for this it was nice to keep up with the rest of the band and have a bit of spare headroom. It’s not often an amp keeps getting louder when you get past those settings but this certainly can!

• Haha 1

Did another rehearsal last night. Same band, same room, slightly more sensible volume settings. Sounded bloody glorious with my ACG TKO bass (essentially a PJ in series). Video of a song, professionally videoed and edited by me and my iPhone, warts and all..:

Edited by Merton
Smelling pistake
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Merton said:

Did another rehearsal last night. Same band, same room, slightly more sensible volume settings. Sounded bloody glorious with my ACG TKO bass (essentially a PJ in series). Video of a song, professionally videoed and edited by me and my iPhone, warts and all..:

Not my usual kind of music but that sounded pretty  good. Bass sounds nice with a little bit of grit / edge on it.

Dave

• Like 1

On 18/08/2024 at 11:59, Merton said:

Grest stuff @Merton,

Band, and bass/rig sound really good! 

• Like 1

On 18/08/2024 at 11:59, Merton said:

Sounds great… nice one.

• Like 1