Why become a member? ×

First fretless outing.

Highfox

So this evening I go at it for both sets with a fretless :)
I have used one on a few numbers live before, but this time I plan to do the whole lot with it. I have been using it at practice for the last 3 weeks and feel fairly comfy (famous last words)
It's a fairly lowkey gig, normally they host a lot of accoustic type bands so we have to try keep the noise down and have altered our sets to try accommodate.
I'll have a fretted as back-up if it starts feeling (sounding) bad.

A first time for everything, wish me luck.

Thanks Guys, it went well. Little bit of finger shifting and a couple of duff notes, but nothing new there :)
Actually got more positive comments about my playing and how nice the band sounded in general, which was nice.
Seems the punters also like the fretless.

We did a Prince tune for the encorel and I admit to welling up a bit.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1461403849' post='3034318']
I am glad it went well, I wish I could convince our band that the fretless sound is the way to go, I will just have to keep writing basslines that suit fretless better, I can't wait until fretless becomes more mainstream in popular music again
[/quote]
Yes, I know what you mean.
I don't think it suited all our songs, but if you play it like a fretted which was my approach for most stuff, you can get a fair bit of attack and don't need to slide into everything and it sounds ok.

As an aside, quick post gig chat and the guys thought it would be a good idea to build the setlist's so I could do batches of fretless and fretted songs. So I'm keen for that.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1461405736' post='3034341']

Yes, I know what you mean.
I don't think it suited all our songs, but if you play it like a fretted which was my approach for most stuff, you can get a fair bit of attack and don't need to slide into everything and it sounds ok.

As an aside, quick post gig chat and the guys thought it would be a good idea to build the setlist's so I could do batches of fretless and fretted songs. So I'm keen for that.
[/quote]Bad Company's Boz Burrell did a top job of making a fretless sound 'normal' at the appropriate moments and all slippy-slidey at others.

Definitely try and keep your fretless requirements together, I wish my band would do this, but I don't listen to myself when I write them ;)

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1461367616' post='3034164']
Thanks Guys, it went well. Little bit of finger shifting and a couple of duff notes, but nothing new there
[/quote]
Steve Bailey said something like "aim to be in tune 90% of the time because you'll miss sometimes"
As long as you detect and correct that's fine.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1461408997' post='3034383']
Bad Company's Boz Burrell did a top job of making a fretless sound 'normal' at the appropriate moments and all slippy-slidey at others.

Definitely try and keep your fretless requirements together, I wish my band would do this, but I don't listen to myself when I write them ;)
[/quote]

Now that is a great idea, I am going to play fretless at rehearsal today and just try and make it sound as fretted as possible for the tracks where I would usually use a Precision, unfortunately with a lot of our songs at the moment I do use a pick so today I will commit the cardinal sin of playing a fretless with a pick for some songs!

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1461491930' post='3035023']
Now that is a great idea, I am going to play fretless at rehearsal today and just try and make it sound as fretted as possible for the tracks where I would usually use a Precision, unfortunately with a lot of our songs at the moment I do use a pick so today I will commit the cardinal sin of playing a fretless with a pick for some songs!
[/quote]I give you Tony Levin playing Sledgehammer: pick, octave box, fretless Cutlass. There are no rules. :)

Not sure it's up to the band what bass you use? It is up to you to make your choices work, but that should be doable. I use fretless much more than fretted these days. It took a while to work out how to make a fretless sound more like a fretted bass, both hands need work. Much more arch in the left hand, use the very tips of the fingers and the right hand needs to be more crisp and "attack"-y. Fretless gives much more potential for expression and nuance, in my opinion. If you like it, do it more!