Why become a member? ×

Alpha pots rant

Twincam

Why do companies that should no better and that charge high prices continue to use alpha pots?
There performance is fine and I don't mind there feel but there failure rate after a while is definitely higher and they get crackly earlier than other pots I'm sure.
Three times now in the last two months I've seen alpha pots in a bass and two amps need replacing or a good! cleaning.
Compared too one cts pot in three years.

In fact all pots surely should be better sealed!

Alpha pots just say no!
Disclaimer I do know other pots fail just alpha from my own experience are the worst offenders. I've also seen old alphas work totally fine!.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1461608823' post='3036139']
Never had any problems with Alphas tbh.....
[/quote]

Ha and how many pots did Alpha fill your pockets with for that statement!
:D

As said I've had basses and amps that have had them in and been fine. Just I noticed with alarm every time I've had a bad pot 90% I look and it's an Alpha. I have no doubt millions are still going strong.

There are two companies called Alpha, Taiwan Alpha, the original and The US/Korean company. The best posts to use are Cermet but they cost a lot. The second best is conductive plastic. The last more than twice as long as the carbon pots fitted to most guitars.

I use Omegs in all my guitars although the metal backed ones are hard to get. The green ECO ones are great. No you cannot solder to plastic but if it ain't metal it won't act like an aerial.