Why become a member? ×

NBD, Ibanez EDC 710

anDy LAKIN

I picked up this little unusual bass from ebay, its an Ibanez EDC 710 from the 2003 ergodyne range in black. I just thought it was lovely and curvy and the matt black just highlights this and with being an ibanez it has a lovely thin smooth neck, nice and light and also good quality for what they are. I had never seen one before until i stumbled over it on ebay and thought id add it to my collection as you do

now for the spec,
it is made from luthite (a type of resin i believe) which enables all those curves to be put into it such as the built in thumb rest grove at the top and hollow under the G string for extra grab. The back is curved too which is supposed to help rest on your body when playing and more comfortable. The longer horns are to help with balance which does work but looks a bit odd. the neck is maple and is all colour matched which i do like in a bass.
It has a two bend equalizer one for bass the other for treble and a triple coil pickup with a switch for the coil selector of either attack, bright or trad (i think that is supposed to be traditional but im not sure)

I got it pretty grubby but with no scratches or dings on it and after a clean up looks as good as new considering it is 13 years old. the fretboard is still slightly grubby and the frets have lost their shine but i can live with that and the neck bolts have got a bit of corrosion on on the surface but nothing to worry about.

I also got some new eric ball slinky roundwounds on as i thought roundwounds suited the aesthetics better than flats and also i think i need to improve my technique slightly

did you say you wanted some pics?

I adore these basses. Beautiful shape, and so, so comfortable. Sadly I never really got on with the sound of them. Doesn't stop me from eyeballing them on Ebay though! They used to be available in a coulour Ibanez called 'Vampire Kiss', a beautiful blood-red (unsurprisingly).

[quote name='anDy LAKIN' timestamp='1462378516' post='3042551']
yes perhaps a toned down h r giger aliens inspired design is what i thought at first glance but that maybe more down to the colour
[/quote]

If it had no visible neck join it would look....grown.

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1462381974' post='3042581']
It's an Ibanez ATK pickup. A quick rub of the frets with wire wool will tidy them up.
[/quote]

thanks for that info about the pickup and i did think about using wire wool on them but save that for a later date

[quote name='anDy LAKIN' timestamp='1462375274' post='3042507']
what didnt you like about the sound?, there have been a few models with different pups on them.
[/quote]

I always found the Luthite basses to have a rather dry, clean sound - not a criticism, but my tastes have always leaned more toward a warmer, growly passive kind of thing.