Why become a member? ×

Wem dominator

Twincam

I have a dominator 25 bass in mint condition. It sounds great, goes surprisingly deep and can do glassy if you like. Can go fairly loud but really it's only a practice or recording amp.

Anyone still use one?

One issue, it vibrates somewhere in the cab at higher volume. Looks a nightmare to investigate anyone know how the front grill comes off. Really it should of had some extra reinforcement in the cab, especially since the head is nicely suspended with suspension which is something all combos should have!

Should I go hell for leather trying to find the rattle or just plug it into another cab. As I don't want to destroy the cab.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1462655419' post='3044767']
I have a dominator 25 bass in mint condition. It sounds great, goes surprisingly deep and can do glassy if you like. Can go fairly loud but really it's only a practice or recording amp.

Anyone still use one?

One issue, it vibrates somewhere in the cab at higher volume. Looks a nightmare to investigate anyone know how the front grill comes off. Really it should of had some extra reinforcement in the cab, especially since the head is nicely suspended with suspension which is something all combos should have!

Should I go hell for leather trying to find the rattle or just plug it into another cab. As I don't want to destroy the cab.
[/quote]

I recently picked up one of these, largely on a whim, and have to say that having played it for the first time last night, I could not be happier, the tone is to die for and absolutely effortless. Having owned many amps over the years, including a B-15, the bass was just that little bit creamier and smoother, without that brittle edge that often creeps in with Ampeg. Adding to the experience was the fact that I was playing what amounted to a total investment of £700, a Yamaha BB1200 into the WEM, and suspect I might have at last found the tonal magic bullet/holy grail/nirvana etc etc! Who would have thought it eh :)

So, in answer to your question above, I would persist, find the fault and enjoy a lovely piece of early 70's British magic.

Well the wem was sold a while ago. I cured the rattles.
Also swapped out the celestion 15" blackback g15 and sold it for £100. Replaced it with a celestion bg15 100w which actually improved its tone all round but it did lose some character. But you could really crank it without speaker breakup was very loud with a guitar. Ok for bass at lower volume. Worked very well into an actual bass cab too.

If yours buzzes like mine did the valve heater lines are not breaded from the factory. Twisting them makes a whole world of difference!

I still have the original mullard power tubes for it. As I replaced out of a precaution. But the old mullards definitely sounded better.

Actually wish I kept the thing now!