Why become a member? ×

How Many Inches Do You Like?

Billy Apple

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1463519728' post='3052076']
I do not currently but I'll throw some together in my free time this week. I think Tim put standard DRs on it, not sure exactly what type but they're rounds. The low B is D'Addario.
[/quote]

That's extremely kind of you mate, look forward to hearing/seeing it and thanks for the info on your strings too :)

Eude

• 1 month later...

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1463558503' post='3052216']

That's extremely kind of you mate, look forward to hearing/seeing it and thanks for the info on your strings too :)

Eude
[/quote]

One of my bands did a live session. There's bits of low B all over but particularly at 1:30 onwards.

https://youtu.be/6WGWKcTD_CM

Better late than never!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1467448032' post='3083706']
One of my bands did a live session. There's bits of low B all over but particularly at 1:30 onwards.

[url="https://youtu.be/6WGWKcTD_CM"]https://youtu.be/6WGWKcTD_CM[/url]

Better late than never!
[/quote]

Sounds great mate, thank you for sharing!

Eude

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1462739155' post='3045389']
IMO it's all about the construction of the neck and how it is attached to the body rather than a 1" difference in scale length. The other important factor is finding the right B string for a particular bass. What works on one won't necessarily work on another.

Bear in mind that going from 34" to 35" is not even a 3% increase in length so by all means go for 35" scale if you like the longer spacing between the frets, but don't expect a single inch to make any real difference in how the B string feels and sounds. Also IME 35" scale is used by a lot of cheaper basses to try and compensate for the fact that the construction of the bass isn't really up to the standard required for a 5-string. It doesn't work. Any manufacturer capable of making a 35" scale bass with a good sounding a feeling B string will be able to make one with a 34" scale length just as well.

Scale length only makes a significant difference once you go to 36" scale or longer.
[/quote]

I'd go with this.

All my current basses are 34" and bolt-on. The B's are great..wouldn't buy then otherwise and the build is the key element here.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1468349431' post='3090373']

I'd go with this.

All my current basses are 34" and bolt-on. The B's are great..wouldn't buy then otherwise and the build is the key element here.
[/quote]

Me too. All 34" low B's are not equal! Even if they're made from the same materials.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1468432457' post='3090917']
Me too. All 34" low B's are not equal! Even if they're made from the same materials.
[/quote]

I'll run them with 118-120's too.... you wouldn't be able to pick holes with the B string unless the strings have gone... and then it would not only the B that would be a problem