Why become a member? ×

Summer's coming - new cricket bat? £36.57 currently

Not necessarily - when I was gigging mine, I made it passive-only because I found it incredibly easy to knock the active/passive micro-switch mid song, and disappear from the mix!

Didn't think much of the active sound anyway, it just seemed (at least on the very early ones like mine) to be a big volume boost & prone to clipping.

Jon.

I'm surprised more people don't add wings to these. Take the paint off, add a couple of nice bits of wood and turn a dated design into something contemporary - tat made stylish for a few hundred quid. I had one back in the 80s, disappointed with the electronics but they are nice to play.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1463067428' post='3048292']
I'm surprised more people don't add wings to these. Take the paint off, add a couple of nice bits of wood and turn a dated design into something contemporary
[/quote]

Probably because the original design is eminently practical, incredibly portable and pretty damned iconic! Anyway, Hohner did exactly that & called it the Jack!

J.

I've seen a couple of reworked B2s. BCer Anzoid had one, a slimline version of a "normal" body with a long top horn. I've got another, which was made by BCer yorksfivestringer from a B2 which (IIRC) got run over; it looks vaguely like a Status Streamline.

Edited by alyctes

The active circuit isn't the best and I've found it benefits from some additional eq through my hartke vxl... Which defeats the point of the active somewhat but in combination I've found some happy mid ground and a good clanky funky tone. I can recommend GHS bass Boomer strings.
For what could be considered quite naff looking I'm actually finding it incredibly playable, better for slap than my fender jazz. I'd love body wings on a headless but wouldn't want to retro fit.
Mine came with an original vinyl/ fake leather hard case which has zips instead of latches, which raises the game considerably when it comes to coolness. My band love it too, which is odd because I thought they'd kick my ass for bringing this bass!