Why become a member? ×

Becoming more passive in my old age......

Veils

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1463561436' post='3052255']
I think it's very easy and reversible to change wiring around / get some different pots. I'm going to change my jazz from VVT to Master Volume - Blend - Tone once I've worked out the easiest way of doing it :)
[/quote]

The '75RI I recently bought had the east j-retro fitted, but didn't have the original control plate with it unfortunately. I'm really considering changing it back to passive. If I do it, I'd like to go vol / blend / tone as well, can't be that difficult surely?

EDIT: Or maybe even Vol / tone & a 3-way switch? Controversial? :ph34r:

Edited by LewisK1975

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1463578146' post='3052485']
...I'd like to go vol / blend / tone as well, can't be that difficult surely?
[/quote]

I'm assuming not, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, so I think I shall give it to someone who knows about these sorts of things to do it for me. :blink:

[quote name='Veils' timestamp='1463487501' post='3051712']
Thanks Mr Gary Mac :)

It shouldn't be a surprise to me really I guess. The reason I got into playing bass was a certain Mr Alex James, who is still to this day my number 1 bass hero. Not just the way he plays, but the sound he gets too (I know he's a Precision man rather than Jazz). Now that I think about it, Precisions are the only bass I am yet to experiment with........hmmmmmmm...........
[/quote]

It is very pleasing to get a thank you but what am I being thanked for? :lol:

If you want a new passive wiring loom to replace an active one, drop KiOgon a PM.

I've just changed my Ibanez from Volume,Balance, Bass, StyleSweep, Treble to. V/V/T/T with an added series parallel switch. The looms are a doddle to fit, you get a wiring diagram ,it couldn't be easier.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1463750011' post='3053839']
"I end up over hitting the strings to get the fattest sound I can" - except that's not the way to do it, IME. Turn up the amp, play softer with less dynamic range. All the fatness you could ever want.
[/quote]

We will have to agree to differ - for me the epitome of fat bass sound is Musicman, Wal or Warwick. Others need preamp help to get there in my opinion (but that is not to say they don't sound nice in passive form - just lacking in that fat, almost synth sound - perhaps it's a lack of girth....)

Edited by drTStingray

I'm not entirely sure why people use a dedicated DI with EQ abilityrather than the DI output from their amp - I'm sure there are reasons.

I've also heard of occasional stars using basses without tone controls but do people not use the tone control on their passive basses - I was led to believe they do - hence my feeling that active basses generally give better, more flexible tone controls (albeit powered with a low voltage). And you are right - the cut ability is as useful sometimes as the boost!!

Edited by drTStingray