Why become a member? ×

£5204 for that?...oh sure..NOT!

In all fairness it is "[b][b][b][size="+3"]ultra rare & a piece of American Guitar History[/size][/b][/b][/b]", not least because it has been carefully designed to have a neck pickup placed at the bridge, an E string which falls off the side of the neck, variable gaps between all four strings, a misaligned bridge, and some of the cheapest tuners you'll ever see. And Gibson speed knobs, don't forget the Gibson speed knobs. From a Les Paul guitar presumably.

Bargin.

I'm going to guess that the bridge is not original, as the strings are badly mis-aligned and it looks like a well built instrument otherwise. With that chrome cover it's hard to see if anything has been changed underneath. The tuners look cheap by modern standards, but I'd guess that the choice of hardware available to small builders at the time was nothing like what is available today. I've no idea about the collector value of this sort of thing, but it does seem that Allen was a well known luthier who made instruments for some significant players.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1463583685' post='3052555']

Apart from putting the wrong pickup in the wrong position, of course.

:)
[/quote]

I think it was made for a bridge with much narrower string spacing, and if the right bridge was fitted the strings would align with the pickup just fine. It's kind of an eccentric design, but (with the exception of Fender) what wasn't in the mid 60s?