Why become a member? ×

New old bass incoming - Vantage Standard II bass

Paul S

A relatively cheap impulse buy on eBay - double cutaway and shaped body caught my eye:

Not even here yet and I am thinking this might be nice. Made in Japan stamped on the neck plate, according to then pics, so Matsumoku, I think.

Anyone owned one/know anything about them? One of Uncle Mats better basses or have I just bought a pup? Not much on t'net that I have found.

Nice! Matsumoku often used a sort of generic bass template from around 1980-ish, with the likes of various Vantages, Westburys, Hondos, Arias & Washburns typically featuring P pickup, symmetrical doublecut body, 3-piece neck, 2-a-side tapered headstock and usually a Gibbo-style 3-point bridge,. I have a Westbury Track 2 and it's very nice, I expect this is built to the same standard.

One thing though - don't be surprised if the bridge is a bit "tired" - the ones Mat used seemed to be made of chrome-plated cheese and prone to doing this after a couple of decades:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:72631]

That was my Westbury when I got it - fortunately modern Epiphones are a drop-in replacement. Or the likes of Babicz or Hipshot if you're feelin' a bit flash!

Jon.

Something about the proportions of this appeals to me. I was wondering the same re the bridge - can't see clearly in the pics - I've read plenty on here about those on Hondos and Westburys in particular. I'm also hoping this isn't going to be heavy.... we'll see.