Why become a member? ×

Non Bass Players On Records.

Hobbayne

Someone has requested that we play The Traveling Wilburies' - 'Handle With Care' for their birthday party in a few weeks time.
While its an innocuous little song, I feel it has been let down by the bassline which was probably played by Jeff Lynne who is not really known as a bassist.
A really nice walking line would IMHO suit the song better, rather than just doubling the guitar parts in the verse.
I,m sure they could have used a session bassist rather than a one take 'That'll do' bass part.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1464689527' post='3061379']
I,m sure they could have used a session bassist rather than a one take 'That'll do' bass part.
[/quote]

It's their song - in all fairness it is up to them to decide what bassline goes on it !

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1464692833' post='3061422']
It's their song - in all fairness it is up to them to decide what bassline goes on it !
[/quote]
Oh yes, I agree. But it still seems thrown together to me though. :mellow:

It's a perfect bass line for a catchy, clever pop song which shows off the guys totally different singing styles.

There's also Jim Keltner, one of the best drummers in the US in the last 40 years, just "keeping time".

The best players serve the song.

If you feel a walking bass line will be better do it. I'd like to see the look on everyone's face if you do.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1464708220' post='3061660']
Ok fairy nuff. I am not familiar with the Wilburies stuff and that song and the fact they don't (didn't) have a regular bass player inspired me to post this.
[/quote]
It would be cool to hear/see what you do with it and how it sounds. Music is art. Nothing is ever "wrong".

Their line up is seriously guitar-heavy though isn't it?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1464706968' post='3061640']
The general feel of the song that I get is a harp back to the 50s-60s. Wasn't this a time when bass was underplayed? Wasn't it McCartney and others in the 60s that took the bass forward?
[/quote]
Not really. Plenty of somewhat gymnastic bass players around pre Jamerson et al. Not necessarily electric bass guitar, but bass none the less.
You young whippersnappers didnt invent this stuff, you know!

P.S. Get off my damn lawn, kid!

Steve Jones, guitarist with Sex Pistols, played bass on Never Mind the Bo11ocks. Conversely, John Deacon, bass player with Queen played guitar on Another One Bites The Dust. I think in both cases you can clearly hear the influence of each musician's usual role on their recorded parts.

Edited by darkandrew

Any simplicity in rhythm by those guys would surely be part of the design , however if you find live versions you might find some variations.

Also nowt wrong with you trying something else on it , I'm guessing you would be shy of a guitar if trying to cover it live anyhow , do a different arrangement might work , but will always divide opinion.

Don't know if it was Jeff Lynne but it sounds to me like he wrote the song and he's quite the arranger to be fair.

I find the whole thing to be dull as dishwater but if your audience likes it you have to lump it, eh. This is why I don't play in cover bands.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1464769903' post='3062270']
I reckon it'd be better with an anthemic synth, glitch percussion and slap bass solo right in the middle...
[/quote]

I was thinking wobble bass and a handful of Mancunian rave MCs.

Edited by AustinArto